johndii1991

Reputable
Mar 11, 2018
I followed an tutorial online in troubleshooting a PSU, to check its performance with that paper clip method. But before all of that I was testing with my PC. First it was turning on for 3 seconds and then turns off, then after attempts it doesn't turn on anymore. So I tested the PSU alone this time with that paper clip method and got some results. I turned it on which was plugged into the wall outlet. Then as I noticed the same 3 seconds and then turn off showed itself again but I heard a faint tick sound once it hit the 3rd second mark and then off. I tested it five more times but this time I paid close attention to the noise without distraction with my ear close to listen and yes. The faint tick sound on the 3rd second mark and then turns off. Does that mean my PSU was defective?

johndii1991

Reputable
Mar 11, 2018
If the PSU did not power up during the paper clip test, yes, you need a new PSU.

Update: I tested my old PSU which is still good. Now my desktop won't turn on anymore with my old thats been tested and working fine.

Does that mean my motherboard dead too?

and does it destroy other components as well? like Gpu and cpu.