Question Troubleshooting a GPU install for APU

Dante3214

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
I was trying to install an rx 550 I recently got to replace the Vega 8 integrated graphics the Ryzen 2200g apu uses. The card receives power and the fan spins, but I am unable to get a signal to the monitor at all.

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200g
GPU: ASRock Rx 550 2g ddr5
PSU: 600w
Motherboard: ASRock b450m steel legend
RAM: 2x 8g DDR4

I've updated AMD drivers, and my mobo is up to date as well. I checked the BIOS, and it was already set to use external graphics despite having only used the integrated graphics.
I was unable to get a signal to the monitor, even when the cord was plugged into the mobo with the GPU seated and powered. I also tried resetting the BIOS (or in my case, loading UEFI default settings).

I removed one RAM stick to see if it would help. No changes.

I am wondering what else I could try? Also, my old monitor uses VGA, and I've been using a DP to VGA adapter on my mobo. I've heard that newer cards don't have an analogue output (or something like that I don't understand) so I also wanted to see if anyone thought I simply needed to replace my monitor as well?

Thank you.

P.S.: Yes I know my pc sucks

Dante3214

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
This is the adapter in question https://www.amazon.com/Moread-DisplayPort-Gold-Plated-Compatible-Projector/dp/B075M661NC

It doesn't say it's active, so I assume it isn't. I was unaware adapters were either passive or active so I'm learning something here.

And yeah I've switched the cord around a few times now.

Gets power and seems fine just nothing to the monitor. If I seat the card and leave the monitor plugged in to the mobo, it SEEMS the mobo recognizes the card and defaults to the PCIe slot instead of integrated graphics (otherwise I'd see a signal).

Hope it's just an adapter!