[SOLVED] Troubleshooting Assistance (Changing RAM frequency causes system to not post/boot?)

Dec 8, 2022
Relatively inexperienced builder here needing some help.

Specs:
CPU - r7 5800x
GPU - EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra
MB - MAG B550 Tomahawk
Ram - G.Skill RipJaws V Series (2x8)(DDR4 3600)
PSU - Corsair RM750x Gold 80 plus

Rundown:

Installed my new r7 5800x on Sunday, been having some troubles since. I replaced my r5 3600 which served me well. No problem with the installation and successfully reached desktop after setting bios to defaults. Everything ran and still runs fine, but I noticed my ram was running at 2133. Went into bios to activate XMP then saved and exited. Fans, lights and other components in the case turned on, but nothing appeared on the monitor nor did my keyboard or mouse turn on. Left for 5mins and came back and nothing changed. Looked in the case and the CPU light was on. Attempted another restart and the same problem persisted. Cleared CMOS and it booted up just fine again. The ram was still 2133 instead of 3600. I installed the very recent version of bios and attempted changing the frequency again. The problems presented itself once more. Reset CMOS again to get to back into desktop and made sure everything ran properly, which they do, but my ram frequency refuses to change.

Does anyone have any tips to fix this? Or should I just accept that my ram is going to underperform.

Solution
First refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to verify that the installed RAM is indeed supported. Most likely the User Guide/Manual will refer you to the manufacturer's website for more information via the QVL, Forums, and FAQs. Check motherboard version as well.

Note that some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM module be inserted in a specific slot.

Second, the RAM itself, are you certain that the installed modules are a matched pair for dual channel use? Where were the modules purchased?

Third, try a new CMOS battery just as a matter of elimination. The battery may not be "remembering" the configuration settings.

Ralston18

Titan
First refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to verify that the installed RAM is indeed supported. Most likely the User Guide/Manual will refer you to the manufacturer's website for more information via the QVL, Forums, and FAQs. Check motherboard version as well.

Note that some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM module be inserted in a specific slot.

Second, the RAM itself, are you certain that the installed modules are a matched pair for dual channel use? Where were the modules purchased?

Third, try a new CMOS battery just as a matter of elimination. The battery may not be "remembering" the configuration settings.

Solution
Dec 8, 2022

[/QUOTE

These are the same two sticks I’ve been running for little over a year and some change now. They were purchased in a kit from from amazon, not separately. I was also able to configure them when my r5 3600 was installed as well, unlike now. They’re in the first and third slots which I believe is A1 & B1, no? I haven’t had any problems with them getting to run at 3600 instead of 2133 until I installed my 5800x this past Sunday. I haven’t tried a new cmos battery though.

Ralston18

Titan
Another consideration then is the power draw difference between the r5 3600 and r7 5800x.

Especially at peak demand.

How old is that Corsair 750 Watt PSU? History of heavy gaming use, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Although there does not seem to be much of an increase with regards to power demand comparing the two GPUs there could be just enough of an increase to hit some threshold value where the PSU falters and fails in some manner.

Use two or three power calculators along with your own wattage total. If a component provides a range of wattage values then use the highest value.

Calculator links:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Dec 8, 2022
Another consideration then is the power draw difference between the r5 3600 and r7 5800x.

Especially at peak demand.

How old is that Corsair 750 Watt PSU? History of heavy gaming use, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Although there does not seem to be much of an increase with regards to power demand comparing the two GPUs there could be just enough of an increase to hit some threshold value where the PSU falters and fails in some manner.

Use two or three power calculators along with your own wattage total. If a component provides a range of wattage values then use the highest value.

Calculator links:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
👍 I’ll run some tests tmr. Also the only use is for gaming with various sessions times. So heavy gaming applies here.

Feb 14, 2023
Relatively inexperienced builder here needing some help.

Specs:
CPU - r7 5800x
GPU - EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra
MB - MAG B550 Tomahawk
Ram - G.Skill RipJaws V Series (2x8)(DDR4 3600)
PSU - Corsair RM750x Gold 80 plus

Rundown:

Installed my new r7 5800x on Sunday, been having some troubles since. I replaced my r5 3600 which served me well. No problem with the installation and successfully reached desktop after setting bios to defaults. Everything ran and still runs fine, but I noticed my ram was running at 2133. Went into bios to activate XMP then saved and exited. Fans, lights and other components in the case turned on, but nothing appeared on the monitor nor did my keyboard or mouse turn on. Left for 5mins and came back and nothing changed. Looked in the case and the CPU light was on. Attempted another restart and the same problem persisted. Cleared CMOS and it booted up just fine again. The ram was still 2133 instead of 3600. I installed the very recent version of bios and attempted changing the frequency again. The problems presented itself once more. Reset CMOS again to get to back into desktop and made sure everything ran properly, which they do, but my ram frequency refuses to change.

Does anyone have any tips to fix this? Or should I just accept that my ram is going to underperform.

Wow this was way better way to explain except all i done was wake the stock ram in it and put the 2 sticks of vengane lpx 3200 and its not wantig to fire up when i change the xmp settig to what im supposed to soon as i reset the configure tuning or what ever it is bassically make it back to stock speed its fine fires right up and i got the set of two sticks on amazon as a set so they are identical sets so not sure but having the same problem an its effecting gaming streaming the whole nine. Lol not sure either hope i might be able to figure out here i asked also but seen this so i thought id mention your not the only one dealing with that exact same issue lol take care.

TRENDING THREADS