Question Troubleshooting Crosshair VII BIOS not detecting Kingston A400 2.5" SSD

May 26, 2020
With the help of Darkbreeze and others here and elsewhere, I configured and purchased the system below and spent yesterday assembling it.

The bios flashback worked, the BIOS recognizes the full 16GB Ram, and the graphic card works w/a borrowed monitor.

But the BIOS will not detect the SSD. All six SATA ports are shown as empty. Troubleshooting so far:
  • switched out one SATA cable w/another (both came with the mobo): no joy;
  • switched SATA connectors on the mobo: no joy;
  • installed the SSD into a NUC: was able to partition and format it, and am now copying over 100GB just in case.
I've not tweaked the Crosshair BIOS. I'm running it as is.

So I'm looking at these possible troubles:
  1. at least of the SATA connectors on the mobo are defective
  2. at least two of the Crosshair-included SATA cables are defective
  3. I've screwed up w/some weird BIOS setting etc. or I'm not seating the cable properly.

I'd be grateful for suggestions.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6jcwvW

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($166.89 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($55.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $507.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-07 16:38 EDT-0400

May 26, 2020
This is my first build, and the first time I've opened a case and inserted a part or three in at least a decade.

After various chills and spills assembling the thing over the weekend, I got to the point yesterday afternoon where I called for help. Mulling on it, I realized that the state of the world was either "part is defective" or "I'm an idiot".

What was amusing: I fervently hoped that I was an idiot. And I was!

Turns out, you can fix stupid, sometimes.