[SOLVED] Troubleshooting fans on new ITX build

AntAC

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
Hello everyone,

I've completed a new mini ITX build today, but I'm having issues getting the fans to work correctly. Here's my parts list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r3DYZR

I'm using only one of the CPU cooler fans, it's a 3 pin fan plugged into the CPU_FAN1 connector. I'm also using two case fans which are connected to a PWM controller that I pulled off my old Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. The PWM controller is plugged into the CPU_OPT connector.

Here are my problems:

• The CPU fan runs at ~1300 RPM at all times regardless of what I change in the UEFI or the current load. I originally set it to silent then to full speed, and no change to the RPM occurred (reset multiple times). Originally, I had both CPU cooler fans connected through a splitter, but when I did that the UEFI didn't acknowledge the fans were plugged in (though they did run at a constant rate).
  • The case fans also run at a constant speed (I'm guessing around 50%), but the UEFI doesn't show that anything is connected. I've tried changing the CPU_OPT mode between auto, DC, and PWM. The only thing that happens when I change this setting is the fans run at a higher RPM on auto/DC.
  • Plugging the fan controller into the CHA_FAN1 connector results in the fans not running at all.
  • I did a graphics benchmark, and as far as I can tell only the GPU fans increased their speed.
Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong here? I basically tried to mimic the fan setup of my previous build, which I cannibalized the CPU cooler, one of the case fans, and the PWM controller from. Trying new configurations has been hard because of the size of the cooler, but I have a smaller cooler coming.

Thanks

AntAC

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
Alright, I've solved one of the two problems. The Phanteks hub has six slots for fans, and it bases the speed for the other five on what's in slot 1. I didn't have anything in slot 1 so I guess it just defaulted to full speed. I've put a fan in slot 1 and now it seems to be behaving normally.

My new cooler comes tomorrow and the fans that come with it are 4 pin so I'm hoping that solves my other problem.

As I recall from a previous NH-D14 cooler, noctua includes a y splitter so both fans can connect to a single main cpu fan header. I think it is pwm.

Then Let me relate to you an issue I had with a Asrock motherboard(different from yours) that I used on a build for my son.
I had a pair of 3 pin case fans that always ran at full speed.
Nothing in the bios let me control the speed.
The asrock documentation said nothing about this.
Normally a 3 pin fan fits in a 4 pin pwm header just fine.
I finally figured out that I needed the front fans to be pwm controlled.
I bought a pair of noctua pwm case fans and all ran well.

I do not know what your Phanteks controller does so I can't help there.

AntAC

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
Alright, I've solved one of the two problems. The Phanteks hub has six slots for fans, and it bases the speed for the other five on what's in slot 1. I didn't have anything in slot 1 so I guess it just defaulted to full speed. I've put a fan in slot 1 and now it seems to be behaving normally.

My new cooler comes tomorrow and the fans that come with it are 4 pin so I'm hoping that solves my other problem.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS