[SOLVED] Troubleshooting HDD issues

Reputable
Sep 11, 2018
Hello -

Problem: I replaced my old HD (10 years old) with an hdd . The reason I replaced it, despite age, was due to my computer dead freezing (began a year ago). The new HDD has came with some issues. The new issues:

1) Drop in FPS with games. Before HD --> HDD my FPS sat at 165 range, but now it is lowered to about 100 range.

2) Load stutter: Best term I can think of, where during a game, if a lot of activity happens the game will freeze for a second and FPS will drop to the 40s and recover slowly.

3) The dead freezing has happened once since the HD.

Tried Solutions:

1) I updated GPU drivers & the Nvidia sweet to 'optimize' system

2) Checked/updated HDD drivers.

3) Unplugged and secured the cables attaching the HDD to the MOBO for safe measure.

PC Stats:
MOBO: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g with Radeon

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

RAM: 16 GB installed

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (one at a time) to observe system performance and determine what happens when FPS drops while playing.

Determine what resources are being used by the PC, to what extent (%), and what is using the resource.

Reputable
Sep 11, 2018
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (one at a time) to observe system performance and determine what happens when FPS drops while playing.

Determine what resources are being used by the PC, to what extent (%), and what is using the resource.

PSU: Cooler Master, Elite Power 460W, Under 500W, 10 years, good cond.