[SOLVED] Troubleshooting help with x370 and ryzen 3000

michaelespinoza1104

Commendable
Oct 17, 2017
part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4DFTHB

So I recently bought a 2080 super and a 3800x my x370 is giving me issues I updated the bios to 5.50 and updated the chipset the pc still works with my old 1600x and the 2080 super is working fine I have no idea what to do did I get a bad chip should I get a new board . I also bought a new psu but It works fine when I use it with my 1600x and 2080 super. any help would be appreciated thanks.

Solution
I would try setting the XMP profile in the BIOS but set the DRAM/Memory Frequency to 2933 and see if that works.
Some Mb's don't like 3000 but will work fine at 2933.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Did you set the BIOS to use Optimized Defaults and clear the CMOS Before installing the 3800x ?
I would clear the CMOS and try installing the 3800x with just one stick of RAM in slot A2 (second from the CPU).
  • Unplug the PC (PSU).
  • Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
  • Short the CLR CMOS (CLRMOS1) Jumper for at least 15 seconds.
See page 26 in your Manual:
http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X.pdf
  • Plug the PC back in.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
  • Repeatedly tap the DEL key
  • A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
  • Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
  • Save and exit the BIOS.
  • Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.

Last edited:

michaelespinoza1104

Commendable
Oct 17, 2017
Ok I will do that tonight so i can leave the gpu on it and just move the jumper over to clear it if it doesn't work with the 3800x after clearing the cmos would trying it with my old 1600x do anything?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Yes, just leave the GPU installed.
I would leave the 3800x installed and clear the CMOS then see if it will boot.
If it doesn't take out any RAM sticks except the one in slot A2 and clear CMOS again and then see if it will boot.

Sometimes it takes a few tries to completely clear the CMOS.

michaelespinoza1104

Commendable
Oct 17, 2017
Yes, just leave the GPU installed.
I would leave the 3800x installed and clear the CMOS then see if it will boot.
If it doesn't take out any RAM sticks except the one in slot A2 and clear CMOS again and then see if it will boot.

Sometimes it takes a few tries to completely clear the CMOS.
So I took out the ram stick and put only one of them into the first slot I can get the chip recognized in the bios and the one stick of ram and it works fine would the issue then be the ram ?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
So I took out the ram stick and put only one of them into the first slot I can get the chip recognized in the bios and the one stick of ram and it works fine would the issue then be the ram ?
It might just have had trouble recognizing the RAM.
I would Run Memtest86 on that one stick first and make sure there are No errors.
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Then I would try with Just the Other stick installed and see if it boots.
If it boots with each stick separately then test it with Memtest86 as well.
if they both pass without any errors, try installing them both and see if it will boot.

michaelespinoza1104

Commendable
Oct 17, 2017
It might just have had trouble recognizing the RAM.
I would Run Memtest86 on that one stick first and make sure there are No errors.
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Then I would try with Just the Other stick installed and see if it boots.
If it boots with each stick separately then test it with Memtest86 as well.
if they both pass without any errors, try installing them both and see if it will boot.
got it to work just fine I took both sticks out and put them back into the ram slots that they were in before the whole upgrade works fine now but the ram is running at 2133mhz instead of 3000mhz