[SOLVED] Troubleshooting issue with Fire HD 10 Tablets

raptir

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
Hoping to get some help here as I am a bit stumped. Here is my basic info:
  • Service - Verizon FiOS 200/200
  • Router - Asus RT-AX88U
  • Devices connected - 17, most of which are "idle" at any given time
Generally everything works great. There are two users of the network including myself and our 200mbps service actually provides 300mbps and works very well for the 1080p and little 4k streaming we do. I also use GeForce Now for game streaming, which requires low latency, and that works great on the network.

The issue is with two Fire HD 10 (2019) tablets that we have. They generally work okay - streaming video and TV is usually fine - but with a couple exceptions.
  1. GeForce Now streaming works intermittently on them. It works, but will occasionally spike to unplayable levels of latency even if no other devices are in use.
  2. If used for streaming Netflix (HD plan only), everything else on our network suffers. Reduced bandwidth, increased latency. Streaming other services (Hulu, Disney Plus) does not cause this issue. Streaming Netflix on other devices does not cause this issue.
I could live with point 1 though I would really like to be able to use the service on the tablet, but point 2 is a problem. My wife streams a lot of Netflix just in the background while she does other stuff, and if I'm doing anything with the network it becomes challenging to use.

I'm just stumped. I don't really want to replace the tablets as there's very little I could replace them with unless I spent more than twice as much. Any suggestions to help determine what the issue could be?

USAFRet

Titan
How many of these devices are on WiFi?

You need to have as many devices as possible on a wire. Cat5e ethernet, powerline, MOCA.
WiFi should be only for those devices that cannot have a wire connection.

I have 100/100 FiOS, and my Fire HD 8 tablet degrades my overall performance not at all.

raptir

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
How many of these devices are on WiFi?

You need to have as many devices as possible on a wire. Cat5e ethernet, powerline, MOCA.
WiFi should be only for those devices that cannot have a wire connection.

I have 100/100 FiOS, and my Fire HD 8 tablet degrades my overall performance not at all.

About half are on Wifi but I can't really imagine that even 17 devices is too many for a modern router. And again, I don't have any issues with other devices on wifi.

You don't mention what Fire HD 8 you have but none of them have the same SoC and network controller as the 2019 HD 10 so that doesn't really eliminate any possible issues with the device.