[SOLVED] [Troubleshooting] Monitor, keyboard and mouse losing signal/power

Jul 9, 2020
Hey everybody!

Always been a lurker when looking for troubleshooting advice on these forums but hoping you guys might be able to help!

Bit of context, so I've been using my old custom rig for a while and a few month ago my GPU (Radeon RX480 8GB) stopped working and I've now managed to replace my GPU with something more modern but I'm encountering the above issue mentioned in the title.

The issue: My PC is booting up fine and I can log into windows etc, use programmes, even run a games but my monitor, keyboard and mouse will suddenly stop working as if the power/signal is no longer being sent (all fand and lights on components are still moving/working when looking inside the case). This can be when idling or when running something more taxing. I have to reboot my machine with a manual shutdown holding the power button. I can then load my PC again and everything is normal but the issue keeps repeating itself rendering my machine pretty useless as the most time I've gotten out of it without it happening is roughly 40mins or so.

My BIOS, windows and drivers are all up to date and I believe my system can handle my new GPU but I could easily be wrong as I only have a basic-ish understanding or how everything works. I've run HWMonitor and all my temperatures seem nice and okay.

I'm guess I'm looking for some help on identifying what my issue is, hoping it's not a hardware fault but if so, help pinpointing what it is would really appreciated!

Unfortunately I dont have any spare parts/someone to borrow from to test components.

-System Specs-

OS - Win10 64 bit
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.7Ghz
RAM - 16GB DDR4
PSU - EVGA Supernova 750W G2
MB - ASUS Prime X370-pro

As you can see, some pretty old components but any help and advice trying to troubleshoot this would be amazing. Please let me know if you need any further info, I'm not sure what else would be helpful.

Cheers,

J

Solution
Most likely issue with this is due to a bad video card or power supply. Have you tested the system with one RAM stick at a time? Anything else I would put way down the list of things to test, power supply and video card are most likely to be causing this once you try out the RAM.
Hey everybody!

Always been a lurker when looking for troubleshooting advice on these forums but hoping you guys might be able to help!

Bit of context, so I've been using my old custom rig for a while and a few month ago my GPU (Radeon RX480 8GB) stopped working and I've now managed to replace my GPU with something more modern but I'm encountering the above issue mentioned in the title.

The issue: My PC is booting up fine and I can log into windows etc, use programmes, even run a games but my monitor, keyboard and mouse will suddenly stop working as if the power/signal is no longer being sent (all fand and lights on components are still moving/working when looking inside the case). This can be when idling or when running something more taxing. I have to reboot my machine with a manual shutdown holding the power button. I can then load my PC again and everything is normal but the issue keeps repeating itself rendering my machine pretty useless as the most time I've gotten out of it without it happening is roughly 40mins or so.

My BIOS, windows and drivers are all up to date and I believe my system can handle my new GPU but I could easily be wrong as I only have a basic-ish understanding or how everything works. I've run HWMonitor and all my temperatures seem nice and okay.

I'm guess I'm looking for some help on identifying what my issue is, hoping it's not a hardware fault but if so, help pinpointing what it is would really appreciated!

Unfortunately I dont have any spare parts/someone to borrow from to test components.

-System Specs-

OS - Win10 64 bit
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.7Ghz
RAM - 16GB DDR4
PSU - EVGA Supernova 750W G2
MB - ASUS Prime X370-pro

As you can see, some pretty old components but any help and advice trying to troubleshoot this would be amazing. Please let me know if you need any further info, I'm not sure what else would be helpful.

Cheers,

J
It's probably your Windows but try changing your Power sawing plan first.

Reactions: UKOrphan
Jul 9, 2020
Yes, that would be for the best.

With a clean install of windows and clean hard drives I was able to run my system for much longer before encountering the issue but it seems to have returned.

Could it potentially be my SSD/HDD?

Edit: I was loading into a game when the issue occured.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks Mike. I dont suppose you have any advice on what I could be looking out for? Something such a windows defender/firewall shutting things down it shouldn't or?

Sorry for the noob questions.
Check system files integrity, run this lines in Command prompt (as Admin) one by one and reboot if you get any faults and repeat until all clear
sfc /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Jul 9, 2020
Check system files integrity, run this lines in Command prompt (as Admin) one by one and reboot if you get any faults and repeat until all clear
sfc /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

-Sfc /scannow (did not find any integrity violations

-DISM /... /... /StartComponentCleanup (operation completed successfully)

-DISM /... /... /RestoreHealth (operation completed successfully)

I've rebooted and ran these a few times, same results each time. I attempted to run a game again and was thrown eventually thrown out of windows to blue screen saying it encountered an issue. I noticed in task manager the power usage for the game was 'very high' (unsure if relevant) just prior to this.

Most likely issue with this is due to a bad video card or power supply. Have you tested the system with one RAM stick at a time? Anything else I would put way down the list of things to test, power supply and video card are most likely to be causing this once you try out the RAM.

Solution
Jul 9, 2020

Okay, thank you for the advice. The GPU is only a couple of days old as I've just replaced my old one. I've ruled out my hard drives and imagine the GPU is fine.

Sounds like I've been hit with multiple failures at once. I'll test the RAM and see what I can do. Thanks again for all the advice.