[SOLVED] Troubleshooting my POST

Jul 3, 2021
Hello all new to the forum and looking for answers for my wife's computer that I built last year. It usually runs fine and sometimes I have to restart it a few times to get it to stay on but now I start the desktop and the main ROG screen with the circle chasing itself will freeze and start a reboot a few times until I get a yellow light on my MOBO which indicates DRAM issues or my computer will give me this fault f:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt
To which I tried the fixes in the first video and got no where new. I tried rebooting windows once, restored to a previous point, tried to uninstall updates, tried automatic repair, and startup repair also to no avail typically winding up at the yellow light or the same error. I replaced my old RAM with a newer one with the same issues remaining. The only thing that gives me hope is being able to boot into safe mode only without command prompt or networking. Looking for answers actively here and the next thing I am working on is changing to a different windows 10 build, any advice helps thanks.
ASUS B450-F GAMING
RYZEN 5 2600 6 CORE 3.4GHZ
CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPZ 16GB 3200 (OLD!!)
CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO SL 32GB 3600 (NEW!!)

Solution
RYZEN 5 2600 Officially supports up to 2933MHz memory.
If you can access your Bios then manual changes will be required to Timings and Voltage.
As you are running OC RAM at 3600MHz you may have to set for a lower frequency as the IMC may reject this and there is no guarantee 3600MHz will be achieved.

If your able to boot into Windows safe mode then lookup your SPD in CPUz, write them down then enter the Timings and voltage manually in Bios as I doubt there will be an XMP profile for easy Overclocking.

The srttrail error can be fixed using the SFC /SCANNOW command in an elevated command prompt. When you run this command windows will attempt a fix if the file is corrupted.
If you can access your Bios then manual changes will be required to Timings and Voltage.
As you are running OC RAM at 3600MHz you may have to set for a lower frequency as the IMC may reject this and there is no guarantee 3600MHz will be achieved.

If your able to boot into Windows safe mode then lookup your SPD in CPUz, write them down then enter the Timings and voltage manually in Bios as I doubt there will be an XMP profile for easy Overclocking.

The srttrail error can be fixed using the SFC /SCANNOW command in an elevated command prompt. When you run this command windows will attempt a fix if the file is corrupted.

Solution
Hello all new to the forum and looking for answers for my wife's computer that I built last year. It usually runs fine and sometimes I have to restart it a few times to get it to stay on but now I start the desktop and the main ROG screen with the circle chasing itself will freeze and start a reboot a few times until I get a yellow light on my MOBO which indicates DRAM issues or my computer will give me this fault f:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt
To which I tried the fixes in the first video and got no where new. I tried rebooting windows once, restored to a previous point, tried to uninstall updates, tried automatic repair, and startup repair also to no avail typically winding up at the yellow light or the same error. I replaced my old RAM with a newer one with the same issues remaining. The only thing that gives me hope is being able to boot into safe mode only without command prompt or networking. Looking for answers actively here and the next thing I am working on is changing to a different windows 10 build, any advice helps thanks.
ASUS B450-F GAMING
RYZEN 5 2600 6 CORE 3.4GHZ
CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPZ 16GB 3200 (OLD!!)
CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO SL 32GB 3600 (NEW!!)
According to https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-model/ MB supports only up to 3200MHz RAM.
Ryzen 2600 supports only up to 2933MHz and over that it would mean overclocking it's IMC which in conjunction with MB limitation makes faster RAM difficult but not impossible to do it manually.

Jul 3, 2021

Awesome! The srttrail error is gone after that fix but still erratic with if it boots past POST. I am not trying to overclock my RAM yet, but I can only assume that if I get RAM that matches the speed my processor supports or upgrade my processor to one that supports the speed of my RAM this would help my situation? I know that RAM is cheaper but am open to a better processor if you have a recommendation?

Many ryzen processors will work with 3600Mhz OC RAM but not simple Plug and Play. You would have to manually enter Timings and voltage in Bios with no guarantee you will achieve the rated frequency.

Here are all the ryzen processors that your MB supports.
https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_cpu

I personally like the ryzen 7 5800x (8 Core) as a worthy upgrade for your 2600.
Here is a benchmark comparison of the two:
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-555800X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/4085vs39
You will notice a 29% effective speed increase and much lower CL Latency RAM support.

Jul 3, 2021
Many ryzen processors will work with 3600Mhz OC RAM but not simple Plug and Play. You would have to manually enter Timings and voltage in Bios with no guarantee you will achieve the rated frequency.

Here are all the ryzen processors that your MB supports.
https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_cpu

I personally like the ryzen 7 5800x (8 Core) as a worthy upgrade for your 2600.
Here is a benchmark comparison of the two:
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-555800X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/4085vs39
You will notice a 29% effective speed increase and much lower CL Latency RAM support.
Well I spoke with tech support and their recommendation was the my RAM was not on their "list" and I went to the store and grabbed one that was on their list and still have the same issues. Haven't spoken with them again but I tried a BIOS update and it looks like my chipset is out of date as well... I'm tempted to try a new motherboard even though I didn't find any burns as tech support suggested... I gotta say I am at my wits end here since nothing is working.

Don't rely on ASUS tech support. From experience they are hopeless.

Upgrade your processor as recommended and update both Bios and chipset.
Update the Bios prior to the new CPU installation then test your RAM.

To check for compatibility of RAM you are using, list the SKU/P/N of the kit you intend to use.

Jul 3, 2021
Don't rely on ASUS tech support. From experience they are hopeless.

Upgrade your processor as recommended and update both Bios and chipset.
Update the Bios prior to the new CPU installation then test your RAM.

To check for compatibility of RAM you are using, list the SKU/P/N of the kit you intend to use.
Ok well I have reached the point where I am throwing money at this problem and I still can't fix it:: New hardware- ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS WIFI...RYZEN 7 3700X... SAME RAM AS BEFORE (BECAUSE COMPATIBLE)... Fresh install of windows as well...

I now have a bootloop on what I can imagine is the POST: everything starts up and the "TUF GAMING" logo pops up and the white circles start circling and will freeze then restart the blue screen "choose an option" and automatic repair and repeat. The only thing that is giving me slight hope is that when I change my boot priority (to the other version of windows on another drive) sometimes it lets me get along with my business. My last two obvious choices of problem are GPU and power..... FML

Don't become too despondent Willy, I think your RAM is the issue as again the 3700x supports up to 3200Mhz. You should return the 3600Mhz kit for a kit at 3200Mhz at CL14 or CL16 with Samsung B-die chips and select the kit from the MB QVL.
You did not list your RAM P/N as asked so I could not check for compatibility and if the kit you have would work.

Also you may have an issue trying to dual boot Windows.
Remove all other drives apart from the drive you want to boot from then set the boot drive as priority in Bios.
You may have to boot into Safe mode to check for device driver errors.

Jul 3, 2021
Don't become too despondent Willy, I think your RAM is the issue as again the 3700x supports up to 3200Mhz. You should return the 3600Mhz kit for a kit at 3200Mhz at CL14 or CL16 with Samsung B-die chips and select the kit from the MB QVL.
You did not list your RAM P/N as asked so I could not check for compatibility and if the kit you have would work.

Remove all other drives apart from the drive you want to boot from then set the boot drive as priority in Bios.
Sorry I didn't see it, I cross referenced it on PC part picker I couldn't find the MB QVL. But, I will double check again today.

I gotta say when I was walking out the door this morning I was thinking of removing all my drives but the new one and see if that fixes my issue.

Will keep you posted this evening... Thanks for your immense patience with me on this!!

Jul 3, 2021

So, latest development is: Used my latest install of windows 10 on hard drive with nothing else on it and was able to get into windows. I restarted and it worked fine. Moved onto downloading all of the vital functions to the same hard drive for me and my wife; Armoury crate, amd software for my cpu and graphics card, afterburner (and all associated updates and installs with those apps), then Filmora, Steam, and Epic games. I then went to shut down and restart to see if this all stuck and of course I am back in the automatic repair boot loop again followed by BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO which is my new loop. I then did a startup repair and it removed all the software I just downloaded and tried to restart again and back to my new SYSTEM_CONFIG message loop.

So, to help alleviate any and all corruption to my OS drive I went and bought a fresh 1TB M2 WD_Black SN750 hoping that this will help the situation if not just make everything a bit faster... Like I said, throwing money at this thing to see if it will get fixed that way.

To answer your previous question: it looks like I installed the CMH32GX4M2D3600C18W to which I now know is not supported on the MB QVL, and thankfully due to the fact that I keep buying things I have another set the CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 which look to support my MB and will be solely sticking them in this evening when I get home. If the M2 and this sole RAM fix my issue, I will be looking for a recommendation for better new RAM now...

Thoughts? And thanks

Jul 3, 2021
So, latest development is: Used my latest install of windows 10 on hard drive with nothing else on it and was able to get into windows. I restarted and it worked fine. Moved onto downloading all of the vital functions to the same hard drive for me and my wife; Armoury crate, amd software for my cpu and graphics card, afterburner (and all associated updates and installs with those apps), then Filmora, Steam, and Epic games. I then went to shut down and restart to see if this all stuck and of course I am back in the automatic repair boot loop again followed by BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO which is my new loop. I then did a startup repair and it removed all the software I just downloaded and tried to restart again and back to my new SYSTEM_CONFIG message loop.

So, to help alleviate any and all corruption to my OS drive I went and bought a fresh 1TB M2 WD_Black SN750 hoping that this will help the situation if not just make everything a bit faster... Like I said, throwing money at this thing to see if it will get fixed that way.

To answer your previous question: it looks like I installed the CMH32GX4M2D3600C18W to which I now know is not supported on the MB QVL, and thankfully due to the fact that I keep buying things I have another set the CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 which look to support my MB and will be solely sticking them in this evening when I get home. If the M2 and this sole RAM fix my issue, I will be looking for a recommendation for better new RAM now...

Thoughts? And thanks

Got home. New M2 installed and RAM installed new OS (lightning fast btw). No software installed because I thought that may have been harming me but considering it was for the motherboard and my GPU and my CPU I would just let it do its thing without the updates. For some reason the sound wouldn't work not really worried about it Windows was acting normally and then the screen went black and enter the windows automatic repair loop again. It hit me with BAD CONFIG, SRT TRIAL ERROR, tried booting in all of the safe modes and got BSOD on all of them. And I feel like I am about to have to buy the most expensive part of this thing... I'm losing hope I'll ever have a functioning computer again and hope my wife doesn't kill me when she figures out the amount of money I have spent on "fixing" this thing...
So.. now I am begging for help...

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
open command prompt as an admin type in chkdsk /r hit enter confirm disk checking on next boot up by pressing the y key and hit enter on the keyboard, restart pc, dont press keys to skip

Jul 3, 2021
open command prompt as an admin type in chkdsk /r hit enter confirm disk checking on next boot up by pressing the y key and hit enter on the keyboard, restart pc, dont press keys to skip
I tried doing that in the recovery blue screen mode and got more errors since I wasn't admin. I think somehow managed to get to the main windows screen and before I could press enter after I typed the chkdsk command it blacked out again and restarted my auto repair loop

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
I tried doing that in the recovery blue screen mode and got more errors since I wasn't admin. I think somehow managed to get to the main windows screen and before I could press enter after I typed the chkdsk command it blacked out again and restarted my auto repair loop
you have to be in a windows session

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
you have to be in a windows session
the boot loop, try getting out out automatic repair loop, into the advanced start up. turn on the pc and kill the power 3 times in a row. right when you see the spinning circle or what ever you see first after the bios screen

should take you to the, pc didn't shut down right what do you want to do on the 4th boot, you should have advanced options and restart pc

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021
the boot loop, try getting out out automatic repair loop, into the advanced start up. turn on the pc and kill the power 3 times in a row. right when you see the spinning circle or what ever you see first after the bios screen

should take you to the, pc didn't shut down right what do you want to do on the 4th boot, you should have advanced options and restart pc
Ill try that when I get home later on today. THanks

Ok well I have reached the point where I am throwing money at this problem and I still can't fix it:: New hardware- ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS WIFI...RYZEN 7 3700X... SAME RAM AS BEFORE (BECAUSE COMPATIBLE)... Fresh install of windows as well...
How did you do the fresh install of windows?

Windows 10 clean install tutorial

Also, what I usually do is after the clean installation of Windows, I let my Windows automatically update to the point where I'm pretty sure the auto updates are finished before I try to do anything else.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021
How did you do the fresh install of windows?

Windows 10 clean install tutorial

Also, what I usually do is after the clean installation of Windows, I let my Windows automatically update to the point where I'm pretty sure the auto updates are finished before I try to do anything else.
Based on that tutorial I did everything suggested minus the clean-up at the end because there are times when I cannot even get it to stay on long enough to do the CHKDSK function.
Should I go and get a crappy video card to see if that is the issue or do I just wait? My impatient ass if about to head to micro center and give them my second born for a decent GPU

Jul 3, 2021
To anyone that cares and looking for solutions....
Replaced my Radeon RX 5500XT with an MSI GTX1050TI (to get by) and problem is gone.
TLDR; Had issue with computer POST, getting white circle at ROG screen, would freeze, auto repair loop, replaced MOBO, CPU, RAM, pulled all hard drives, fresh install of windows 10 on M2, same issue, replaced GPU issue resolved. Now have a second computer.

To anyone that cares and looking for solutions....
Replaced my Radeon RX 5500XT with an MSI GTX1050TI (to get by) and problem is gone.
TLDR; Had issue with computer POST, getting white circle at ROG screen, would freeze, auto repair loop, replaced MOBO, CPU, RAM, pulled all hard drives, fresh install of windows 10 on M2, same issue, replaced GPU issue resolved. Now have a second computer.
I'm glad you figured it out. With your stated symptoms, I'm surprised it was a GPU issue. On the other hand, a 1050ti requires a lot less juice than an RX 5500XT. What is your PSU make/model/age?

Jul 3, 2021
I apologize for the delay: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA, 80 Plus Gold 650W bought it last year from Newegg. Are you thinking power related then?
I figured I have enough juice to run a second one if I had one, even though I was only running one at any point.