[SOLVED] Troubleshooting - Need help - Mining Rig Started Tripping Breaker

Feb 19, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I am at an impasse to what is going on. I have a crypto mining rig that utilizes a 1600 Watt EVGA 80+ Gold psu and averages ~ 1050 watts with 6 cards + mobo / equipment.

This rig was mining without any issues for ~1.5 months. Then, my building had a power outtage in which their transformer blew. The PSU was plugged into a higher end surge protector and switched off.

However, every time I try to turn on the psu, I see some sparks inside the PSU and my breaker fails and switches off. I'm not sure what is going on or how to test if the breaker is bad or if psu is bad?

The breaker is a 15 AMP breaker. The PSU should not be pulling this or exceeding this. I do not have anything else on this line other than some hallway lights etc.

Any thoughts / insights on what may be occurring and/or next steps are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
Hello Everyone,

I am at an impasse to what is going on. I have a crypto mining rig that utilizes a 1600 Watt EVGA 80+ Gold psu and averages ~ 1050 watts with 6 cards + mobo / equipment.

This rig was mining without any issues for ~1.5 months. Then, my building had a power outtage in which their transformer blew. The PSU was plugged into a higher end surge protector and switched off.

However, every time I try to turn on the psu, I see some sparks inside the PSU and my breaker fails and switches off. I'm not sure what is going on or how to test if the breaker is bad or if psu is bad?

The breaker is a 15 AMP breaker. The PSU should not be pulling this or exceeding this. I do not have anything else on this line other...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello Everyone,

The breaker is a 15 AMP breaker. The PSU should not be pulling this or exceeding this. I do not have anything else on this line other than some hallway lights etc.

Any thoughts / insights on what may be occurring and/or next steps are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sparks internal to the PSU sounds like it was damaged in the original electrical problem. You need to "reinvest" that mining profit for a new power supply.

Solution