Question Troubleshooting...next step?

YFrankY

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
Desktop gives 3 brief beeps and reboots....over and over....no signal to monitor.

removed Ram cards and HD...blew out whole PC including RAM slots with compressed air...put 1 card at a time in slot1 but no luck...still only 3 brief beeps and reboots.

Based on what I learned so far, I believe I have an AMI bios and 3 beeps indicates a problem with memory.

Any suggestions of what to check/how to check/etc?

any of the 3 RAM sticks give beeps...I guess they all could be bad but I hate to get more memory if there's other things I can try first.

If it helps, I have an ACER PREDATOR AG3620-UR308....i7-3770 chip, 3X4GB ram, Nvidia GeForce GT630 v-card with 2GB memory.

YFrankY

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
Hi Cin19,

First thanks for a quick reply.

I had seen the page in the manual that you referenced. I found reference to the 3 beep AMI BIOS beep codes at LIFEWIRE.COM (https://www.lifewire.com/amibios-beep-codes-2624543) . They stated,
"Three short beeps means there has been a base memory read/write test error in the first 64 KB block of memory. Replacing the RAM usually solves this AMI beep code."

Your suggestions were the same as what I thought should be done and I attempted them already. I removed the HD and the RAM and the CMOS battery. I waited about 10min and replaced the battery and attempted a reboot but was unsuccessful. I added a RAM card to DIM slot 1 and was unsuccessful. I tried a different card in Slot 1, tried a card in slot 2, tried 2 cards in slot 1 and 2.....same dammed 3beeps and then reboot.

In all cases, the fan for the CPU, the fan for the Video card and the fan for the case spin freely and spin when rebooting.

I let the beep/reboot cycle continue for 15min to see if anything changes but other than my high blood pressure, no differences were seen.