Question [Troubleshooting] PC refused to start after cleaning gpu

Dec 18, 2020
Hey!

I took out my gpu to clean the other day, and my PC didnt want to start. It turned on and instantly shut off continously. After an hour of reseating the GPU multiple times, trying different PCI-E slot I determined that the system just refused to turn on with USB peripherials plugged in (ie mouse or dac). Sometimes it would boot, but reinstall gpu drivers? Curiously my gpu started having loud coil whine too, this has not happened until then. Very rarely I hear audible POPs coming from the chassis. Its so random I cant really determine where its coming from, but my guess would be the PSU. Mainly when the system is cold. This is also a new occurance.
Its worth noting my hard drive gave up a few weeks back, so I installed an NVME SSD and took out the hard drive cage.

Example

The case is a Fractal Design Focus G. Could this be a grounding issue? or is my PSU malfunctioning? Its a Seasonic Focus Plus PX750 Platinum. Few month old so its practically new. 2 separate PCI-E cables go to the GPU (2080 Super) and the fans are set to active mode
Right now after booting up just fine once without anything plugged in my pc works "normally" aside from the problems mentioned above. It doesnt matter what fps is set to the coil whine (my guess would be any load above 100W) and the random pop sounds stay.

I have warranty still on every part except the GPU

system specs:

Latest Windows 10 feature update
MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC
i5 9600k@5Ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz ram@3800mhz
MSI 2080 Super Gaming X Trio

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

New PSU's can falter and fail for any number or reasons.

However, take a close look at all other cards, connectors, RAM, jumpers, etc. Ensure that they are all fully and firmly in place.

Are you able to obtain/borrow another known working PSU to test with?

Dec 18, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

New PSU's can falter and fail for any number or reasons.

However, take a close look at all other cards, connectors, RAM, jumpers, etc. Ensure that they are all fully and firmly in place.

Are you able to obtain/borrow another known working PSU to test with?

Updated the op.

I'll check all cabling again, but I'm certain I did multiple times when the pc refused to turn on. To clarify all i did when cleaning the gpu was cleaning the fan blades with a qtip because of the small rattling in one of the fans (didnt help:/) now the coil whine is louder so there is that:D ;(

Unfortunately I dont have access to a different PSU in the near future. Maybe in March. Never heard severe coil whine just magically appearing. Something def was off/is off since the system refused to start and reinstalled the gpu drivers when it did. Since then it boots up no problem, but the random popping and whine stays. Still could not determine where the popping comes from because its so random, but def audible even with a closed case

EDIT: forgot to mention, but Its the same with or without the OC. First thing I tried was clearing CMOS