Troubleshooting potential bad motherboard

Jul 20, 2018
I built my computer a week ago. Since then, I've had no issues with it all week until this morning.

Starting this morning, I was hearing a strange notification sound. It started after I woke the computer up from sleep mode. I figured out that it was windows chiming that a new USB was connected. I tested all the USB ports and all of the devices. No specific device is causing it and it can even occur when no USB device is connected. There is also an error message that will pop-up that says "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it"

I've also noted significantly increased boot time, especially at the mobo screen where I have the option to boot into UEFI. When I got into the UEFI, the clock doesn't count up by 1 second. It jumps by 2-5 seconds each time. I've also had screen tearing issues when trying to play games.

The only change I've made to the computer since building it was hooking up a new monitor through the Display Port. I didn't have any issues the night I connected it but I did the next morning.

I've tried the following troubleshooting with no success: 1. Updated all drivers (this temporarily worked when I updated the chipset drivers or it was just dumb luck) 2. Checked temperatures - nothing abnormal 3. Flashed BIOS.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm currently guessing it's either my processor (i7 8700k) or motherboard (ASRock Z370 Extreme4 LGA 1151)

Edit: The longer the computer is on, the less it seems to happen. I spent the morning trying to fix it and then it seemed to go away. I came home and it was doing it again. I spent a while trying to fix it without luck. Then it seemed to go away. I restarted the computer and it started doing it again.

Edit 2: I've also tried without the new monitor. Same issue. I've also tried starting the PC with only a simple $8 optical mouse in the USB slots with no success.