Troubleshooting problem: Vid card operates poorly from cold start

KingMelkizedek

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
Okay, here's the deal. When I start my computer from being totally off my video card performance is abysmal. Aero does not work, I can't complete WEI, games won't load or just crash (can be fixed on some games by adjusting processor affinity), high def videos on netflix/youtube have tearing on them....just crappy overall. However, once I restart the computer from within Windows everything works perfectly fine.
I am trying to find out a plan to isolate the problem and get this working again and would appreciate any help.

Computer specs:
Asus 970DE3 U3S3 mobo (1.7 bios)
AMD FX-6300 Proc
Corsair XMS DDR3 1333 ram (I think)
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770
WD 1.5TB HDD

System specs:
-Win 7 pro with all updates (except for the feb 2013 update that killed aero)
-Fresh install (~3 weeks old)
-Previously had a 9750 HD gfx card in it but switched to the gtx 770. When I did that I totally removed all aspects of ATI drivers including removing the drivers and cc cleaning within safemode.

Alternative parts I can switch out for testing:
I have another AM3 pc that I can swap stuff around with if necessary.

KingMelkizedek

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
Power Supply is an OCZ StealthXStream 700W. I purchased it in July of 2010.

Previous card was a 7950. I don't remember any issues then....however my wife primarily used it for photoshop/indesign/etc so she likely didn't realize it.

KingMelkizedek

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014

Well, I just ordered an EVGA SuperNOVA NEX Series NEX750w, which appears to be a much higher build quality and will last me for a while. Thanks for the guidance. I appreciate it.