[SOLVED] Troubleshooting RAM issues ?

Aug 14, 2021
Hi there, I'm writing this in hopes someone can help me with a little issue. I bought a new memory kit for me, CMK16GX4M2B3200C16, higher frequency from what I previously used. Went from 2400 to 3200. All within the limits of my current MB. Here is the deal, once I put it on I started experiencing a few Blue Screens, errors vary from kernel to Nvidia drivers. They are not frequent, but still it happens. Also, when it does not happen I still get some game crashes, but those are less frequent, even thought it started after the memory upgrade.

I've been trying different methods to get my system as stable as possible, but nothing seems to work properly. The last thing for me to do is try and update the BIOS. My MB is a GA-AB350M-DS3H V2 and I already updated it once, way back when I first got the PC built. The current BIOS version is F42a. Funny thing is that I can't find this version on the listing for my MOBO BIOS in Gigabyte website. Because of this I'm afraid to update the BIOS and brick the whole thing.

I don't know what to do from here or even if I'm asking in the right place, but I hope someone can give some tips on how fix the problem.

PC specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
MOBO: GA-AB350M-DS3H V2
Memory: VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
GPU: GTX 1070 ASUS DUAL OC
(System is running on a NVMe 970 Evo Plus)

Things I've done trying to mitigate the issue:
  • Set DRAM voltage manually to 1.35V (also increasing the voltage, not going past 1.40)
  • Set RAM multiplier to 32x
  • Set the first five subtimings manually to 16-18-18-18-36 (the same as XMP would)
  • Set the sixth timing (tRC) to 56 instead of 54 as XMP would (found this, but don't really know what is implies)
  • Switching RAM slots

Hi there, I'm writing this in hopes someone can help me with a little issue. I bought a new memory kit for me, CMK16GX4M2B3200C16, higher frequency from what I previously used. Went from 2400 to 3200. All within the limits of my current MB. Here is the deal, once I put it on I started experiencing a few Blue Screens, errors vary from kernel to Nvidia drivers. They are not frequent, but still it happens. Also, when it does not happen I still get some game crashes, but those are less frequent, even thought it started after the memory upgrade.

I've been trying different methods to get my system as stable as possible, but nothing seems to work properly. The last thing for me to do is try and update the BIOS. My MB is a GA-AB350M-DS3H V2 and I already updated it once, way back when I first got the PC built. The current BIOS version is F42a. Funny thing is that I can't find this version on the listing for my MOBO BIOS in Gigabyte website. Because of this I'm afraid to update the BIOS and brick the whole thing.

I don't know what to do from here or even if I'm asking in the right place, but I hope someone can give some tips on how fix the problem.

PC specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
MOBO: GA-AB350M-DS3H V2
Memory: VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
GPU: GTX 1070 ASUS DUAL OC
(System is running on a NVMe 970 Evo Plus)

Things I've done trying to mitigate the issue:
  • Set DRAM voltage manually to 1.35V (also increasing the voltage, not going past 1.40)
  • Set RAM multiplier to 32x
  • Set the first five subtimings manually to 16-18-18-18-36 (the same as XMP would)
  • Set the sixth timing (tRC) to 56 instead of 54 as XMP would (found this, but don't really know what is implies)
  • Switching RAM slots
Fit the ram in the proper slots as per the manual.
Set the bios ram speed to auto.
No xmp.
Use memtest86.
Let it run a complete pass no errors allowed.
If it errors you need to fix the problem.
Note the ram speed the bios selected.

Enable xmp.
If more than one profile use the lower speed one.
Run memtest86 no errors allowed.
Note the ram speed selected.

If all good so far and there is a higher speed profile select it and test again.

Reactions: awterado
Aug 14, 2021
Fit the ram in the proper slots as per the manual.
Set the bios ram speed to auto.
No xmp.
Use memtest86.
Let it run a complete pass no errors allowed.
If it errors you need to fix the problem.
Note the ram speed the bios selected.

Enable xmp.
If more than one profile use the lower speed one.
Run memtest86 no errors allowed.
Note the ram speed selected.

If all good so far and there is a higher speed profile select it and test again.

vov4ik_il brought up something that I didn't know, I'm going to try a few things base on that info. Thanks for the reply though.

Reactions: vov4ik_il