[SOLVED] Troubleshooting/testing POE LAN cable(ping spikesgaming/discord)continuity w/out tools.

May 9, 2020
Hello everyone, I am in need of a method to test the POE LAN cable, which goes from the LAN port of the POE supply brick, to the port on our satellite dish, we tried clamp meter prongs and it seems they have continuity, but if there's an alternate method such as software or something similar it would help a ton.

We've cut the router out of the process, ISP says everything is 100% they're side, but my discord and games have severe spikes, the only 2 things left to test is the E-LAN cable, and the satellite for issues.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Hello everyone, I am in need of a method to test the POE LAN cable, which goes from the LAN port of the POE supply brick, to the port on our satellite dish, we tried clamp meter prongs and it seems they have continuity, but if there's an alternate method such as software or something similar it would help a ton.

We've cut the router out of the process, ISP says everything is 100% they're side, but my discord and games have severe spikes, the only 2 things left to test is the E-LAN cable, and the satellite for issues.

Thank you in advance.
I bought one of these -- https://www.amazon.com/PoE-Detector-IEEE-802-3-Passive/dp/B013P3DBQS/ to have a simple POE test capability.

It is unlikely that POE has anything related to...

kanewolf

Titan

Thank you in advance.
I bought one of these -- https://www.amazon.com/PoE-Detector-IEEE-802-3-Passive/dp/B013P3DBQS/ to have a simple POE test capability.

It is unlikely that POE has anything related to ping spikes. If you are using satellite, then you are going to have bad pings. Sending data 25000 miles out and 25000 back takes a lot of time.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
May 9, 2020

It is unlikely that POE has anything related to ping spikes. If you are using satellite, then you are going to have bad pings. Sending data 25000 miles out and 25000 back takes a lot of time.
Thanks for the heads-up on the product, I also doubted it, but we did have an issue at a point with one of the three ones we have apparently.
Any idea on what to do for the E-cable? I'm pretty sure it's the problem, and we can always break out the clamp meter with it's prongs again, but I was hoping for something alternative.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the heads-up on the product, I also doubted it, but we did have an issue at a point with one of the three ones we have apparently.
Any idea on what to do for the E-cable? I'm pretty sure it's the problem, and we can always break out the clamp meter with it's prongs again, but I was hoping for something alternative.
I am not sure what you are trying to describe as an "E-cable"

May 9, 2020
I am not sure what you are trying to describe as an "E-cable"
I was referring to the Ethernet cable, but it is ok thank you for trying to help kanewolf, I had the isp come out to reattach the cable heads, and they redid the wire, which we did diy at first, we never did a cross wire, which was to prevent interference from power lines which was a little quirk we had no idea about, even though we followed the right color coding, it seems that was the issue it seemed to work for a while but now I have a different issue pertaining to an intermittent disconnect, which seems to be only on ethernet, or at the very least more prominent on the ethernet versus the alternative wireless connection I have available, I am trying to troubleshoot where the problem is coming from, but it is proving very difficult.

It's a different problem entirely, but just maybe you might know what steps to take?
I will be playing a game, any for that matter, and will have a 1-5 second disconnect, I've been thinking, maybe I was a bit rough with my gbe family ethernet port(Z170A Tomahawk from MSI)when talking with the technicians putting the cable out and in, but the issue only seemed to arise long after that point so it doesn't make sense that it would be that.

I've tried different adapter settings, like disabling Advanced EEE, green ethernet, disabling wake on LAN, and unchecking the let windows shut down this device, not in that order to say,but I'm rather bad at this, I've tried resetting the network adapter from the windows options, and downloading the latest driver for the gbe family controller, but to no avail.

Usually those two steps I did would set the options accordingly to the manufacturers default I would assume, I even yesterday, did a windows fresh start selecting delete all files from all drives(checking the two options that are there)and for some reason, windows left a whole load of things, like escape from tarkov, and a few other personal files, which I assume it should have deleted, and wiped all content from all drives, as I assigned it to do.

Really a bit lost at the moment, thanks again however.