Question Troubleshooting USB 2.0 front panel problems

jfiges

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
Hi all,

Please point me to other threads if a similar problem has been fixed before/move this thread if it belongs elsewhere.

In short, my USB 2.0 connection on the front panel aren't working.

I have an ASROCK Z390 Taichi motherboard which I got about 2 years ago.

I had wanted to get some RGB fans - the Corsair QL120 pack, which has a hardware controller, is perfect for me. However the controller plugs into the 9-pin USB 2 connection on the motherboard. I realised before getting these fans that my USB 2.0 connections on the front panel don't work, but the USB 3 front panel connections work fine. I have my mouse and xbox controller plugged in at the front, which work with the USB 3 but not the USB 2. I don't remember them ever working, I guess I've just always used the USB 3 connections.

So to trouble shoot I've made sure the USB 2.0 connection between the motherboard and the front panel is seated correctly - which it is. My USB 3 drivers are all installed and up to date (I assume that USB 3 drivers should also cover USB 2?) In the board's UEFI, all USB devices are enabled (probably unrelated - was unable to enter the BIOS until I cleared the settings by removing and re-seating the CMOS battery. First time having that issue).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to check if the 9-pin connection is working, and the issue is with the connection/front panel itself? I would rather know everything will work fine before buying the fans, and don't really mind if I don't have front panel USB 2 going forward.

Thanks in advance,

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Without connecting something to it, I can't think of any other way to verify the header 'works'.
That being said, if your front panel USB2 don't work.... something is amiss.

There is two connection points, and the cable itself - check on the back of your front panel that nothing has come loose, and check cable for any nicks, cuts or potentially even excessive bends.

jfiges

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
Hi Barty, thanks for your suggestion.

I've found a slight nick in one of the wire sheaths attached to the header, although on closer inspection the actual core of the wire looks intact if very minorly mangled: header

It doesn't look like there's anything for it to short on either.

Do you think this could be the cause of the problem (although neither USB is working, rather than just the one on the left)?

Thanks,
J

Last edited: