[SOLVED] Troubleshooting when NOTHING is displayed

Jan 18, 2020
I've been troubleshooting PCs for quite a while now. Could it be 30 years? I did buy the verify first one. Anyway, I've never experienced this problem.

When I try to start the computer (HP Pro 3130 Microtower, MSI motherboard[MS 7613 Ver: 1.1], Intel Core i5 [pretty early generation]) nothing is displayed. I typically use a KVM switch and other computers are doing fine so I connected those same (KVM) components directly to the failing computer but NO change in behavior. There isn't much analysis that can be done when the computer doesn't tell you anything. Obvious suspicion is failing graphics support which is the integrated Intel of the time (? 2010'ish maybe).

While I think it is only coincidence, I had successfully booted it on the day, 1/14/2020, that Microsoft first displayed the notice that Win7 was NO longer supported. There was NO indication of any problem but it hasn't worked since. While pretty old it was still very capable for what I've been using it for which is developing photographs. While I love portable apps and use them extensively I still have a lot invested in the customization of this computer. I WOULD PREFER TO REPAIR rather than replace but do realize that there are other aging parts which particularly includes the processor. Is this a foolish idea?

Something else I like is that this computer is quiet and that is NOT a specification that is normally associated with new computers. I'll definitely sacrifice unnecessary processing power to get rid of noise.

It looks like it is possible to find used motherboards and in one case a new graphics card (with NO fan BTW) which with some additional work might actually represent an improvement for image processing. Would love to get opinions regarding course of action. Especially if anyone has had to deal with the "display nothing" problem.

Solution
Used to be every motherboard came with a small Pico speaker that plugs in directly to the motherboard in the lowest right corner with the front i/o cables. Nowadays, many of those speakers are markedly absent.

With boot, normally you'd hear a single beep, and then windows pops up. If there's an issue, you should hear a series of beeps, sometimes 2 short or 1 short and 3 long etc. Googleing those codes gives a clue where to start looking.

Lack of Win7 support mean nothing more than Microsoft has stopped actively doing anything more for the OS other than security updates. No driver updates, no bug fixes, no additional service packs, no changes. It's done, Microsoft has moved on. So that will have 0 affect on the pc as such.

What...
Jan 18, 2020
If this is speculation about a defective power supply I can say that the fans work. I do suspect that there is more to a properly functioning power supply than this.

I have enough computers with properly functioning power supplies that I think I could substitute one of those. Might that be worth trying?

Jan 18, 2020
I did swap power supplies with another computer. Result is that the problem stayed where it was (i.e., another working power supply made no difference) and the other computer still works fine (i.e., nothing wrong with power supply from problem computer).

I have become a little more aware of beeps. The computer used for power supply swap beeps noticeably in the manner suggested. However, my newest computer is completely silent during a normal boot. It sort of looks like beeps are NOT something that one can depend on but maybe I should learn more about what they mean.

Now what?

Jan 18, 2020
Yes, it looks like there are lots of possibilities. Plus, with integrated graphics, it could be either processor or motherboard. Couldn't it?
Starting to look like the time has come for some kind of upgrade. In that, new MB & processor & memory.

THANKS!!!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Used to be every motherboard came with a small Pico speaker that plugs in directly to the motherboard in the lowest right corner with the front i/o cables. Nowadays, many of those speakers are markedly absent.

With boot, normally you'd hear a single beep, and then windows pops up. If there's an issue, you should hear a series of beeps, sometimes 2 short or 1 short and 3 long etc. Googleing those codes gives a clue where to start looking.

Lack of Win7 support mean nothing more than Microsoft has stopped actively doing anything more for the OS other than security updates. No driver updates, no bug fixes, no additional service packs, no changes. It's done, Microsoft has moved on. So that will have 0 affect on the pc as such.

What you'll need to do, since you have other pc's, is test all the components individually. Everything. Monitor, cables, ram, cpu (if able), psu is checked (known previously working), video output ports on the mobo, pop in a Pico and hunt down the beep codes etc.

Solution