Troubleshooting with a failed PSU

Mstief

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
While playing a tasking game on my PC, it suddenly shut off. When I try to turn it on the LEDs flash on for a split second then turn off and the boot fails. I can't attempt to turn back on for a while unless I flip the power switch off and back on. While trying to determine the problem, I replaced the PSU with a different one and it successfully booted. I've had this power supply for about a year and 3 months, it's under warranty but getting a replacement will take a while.
Another thing to mention is my CPU was overclocked to 4200Mhz, stock is 3500. I've used this OC profile for many months with little trouble. Although, I didn't have it overclocked for about a month before this failure. I enabled my OC profile the day that this failure happened, it ran fine for about 8 hours.

Build
CPU: AMD FX6300 with convection cooling
RAM: G. Skill Sniper Series DDR3 1866 (2 x 4gb) and G.Skill Ripjaw X Series DDR3 1866 (1x4gb)
GPU: 2 GTX 960s in SLI, 1 Gigabyte, 1 MSI
Mobo: ASUS M5A99FX PRO
PSU: Xpp725-hs

Is there anything I could try to fix it? I reset the CMOS, experimented with removing RAM and my GPUs, direct x doesn't work, and I've ensured that all cables are plugged in correctly. Any help will be appreciated.

Solution

That's a pretty scary PSU. I'm not at all surprised that it died. You could try to get a new one with the warranty, but I would recommend getting a different one entirely.

Take a look at the PSU Tier List for guidance on what to look for:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Mstief

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

The one that didn't work is the XPP725-hs 725W, the working one was a 550W Rosewill. Sorry, I forgot to mention that in the post.

That's a pretty scary PSU. I'm not at all surprised that it died. You could try to get a new one with the warranty, but I would recommend getting a different one entirely.

Take a look at the PSU Tier List for guidance on what to look for:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Solution

Mstief

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

I ended up getting a new one and it works great. I'll see if I can get money back for my old one since it's under warranty.