Troubleshooting with homebuilt... oldisha

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
they do open without the IDE connectors in. Does this mean that the mobo is bad?

I can't claim to be correct, but it does sound like a short on the MB.

When I did that on my friends PC, when the drives didn't open, I disconnected the IDE. Still wouldn't open.

I don't know what else to say, or recommend.

ForzaItalia4

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
what you said is pretty eye opening, thank you. I believe it's the motherboard now instead of the processor since the psu alone can open the hard drives without the IDE cables. Surely the IDE cables didn't go bad and it's my old motherboard. thanks again, I should get a socket 939 anyways, lol

storpedo

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Crap I wrote all this without seeing that the guy already came to the exact conclusion. At least now u can all laugh at my story, and how i dont get to play oblivion any time soon.
OK OK! EVERYBODY!
I believe i have the solution, since i have the EXACT same problem. I went to some of my friends and they ran it thru some machines and got some numbers, and said that the motherboard is fried. Luckily i got the warranty. I do not know exactly how it happned, but i wear a coat which sometimes resonates a static shock from my fingers when i take it off. Now, i turned my pc off beforehand (pulled it out of the plug), and i tried to switch the power on without plugging in the plug. The static shock was extremley (!) big this time, and because the motherboard wasnt getting a static amt of electricity, this short (in comparison) amt of electricity caused it to go bonkers. To make sure its the mobo, check ur processor, make sure it aint friend (or anything of the like) smells ok, and if beeps are coming out when u load it up). Pretty sure u need to replace ur mobo buddy :( Im upset myself, wanted to play oblivion on this baby, but poop happens.