Question Troublesome WiFi connection on Laptop ?

Dec 10, 2020
Hello,

I am having issues with this specific laptops connection to my WI-FI internet. It has NO issues connecting to the internet, and can complete simple tasks such as browsing the internet, checking emails, etc. However, if I stream a show or movie from Netflix for example, after about 30 seconds, the audio and the video are out of sync and I have to refresh the page to fix it.

If I'm playing a game that requires internet connectivity, it becomes entirely unplayable with PING going anywhere from 70(average for me due to my location, and being on WI-FI) to 300+. It CONSTANTLY moves, and almost NEVER sits at a stable number. It'll go up and down nonstop for the entire duration of playing, anything. If I queue up for a game of League of Legends, Valorant, Overwatch, or even something non-competitive such as Raft. The ping is visibly going from 70 to 100 to 70 to 180 to 70 to 80 to 90 to 80 to 300 etc.

The issue with this is that, I begin getting massive amounts of packet loss and the machine can't keep up with the constant stutter and I begin to experience screen tearing and the screen will freeze for seconds at a time to register what is happening in said game. This will happen nearly every time the PING spikes, every couple of seconds. Which makes for an entirely unplayable gaming experience for any game.

I did not have this issue when I first bought this laptop, it's not a high end PC by any means, just a standard medium-low spec PC from Walmart that I bought to get me by for awhile. It use to work just fine with no irregularities in functionality. In the last couple of months it has started doing the aforementioned issue.

I CANNOT use an ethernet cable as their are no remaining slots available on the router, I do not want to purchase a splitter/switch for it and the distance from the router to the laptop is not ideal. I am ruling out this option. Please do not suggest it. I understand it would most likely fix the issue. Though, I cannot drill a hole in the floor of this particular building.

I have ensured that my laptop has all the drivers up to date, including the network adaptor drivers just in case. I have run out of ideas as to why this laptop is experiencing this issue, and am, hoping someone will enjoy attempting to find a solution to this problem.

To clarify, ALL other devices work 100% fine on WI-FI with NO irregularities in connection, or functionality. That includes another laptop, cellular devices, consoles, and T.Vs.

I appreciate any and all feed back, and hope that someone may have a more intricate solution to this, and hope that someone enjoys trying to find a fix. I have done all the research I can to attempt to fix it myself and my making an account for this forum is my last hoo-rah!

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk, and I hope someone can help!

Special Thanks to anyone who reads this entire post and good luck.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020
One of the last Windows patches add an MAC scrambling type technology so I'm thinking it might be that. Try disabling Random Mac addressing in Settings> Network>Wifi

I go to Settings > Network > WI-FI ; and there is no option anywhere that I can find to disable any mac address. None of the options in the WI-FI settings allow me to disable or change the MAC address(s). The hardware properties only show my current information such as ipv4 ipv6 etc. Advanced sharing options doesn't allow me to change anything it just displays other information.

TRENDING THREADS