True Home Th. Displays?

Azdayen

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
I am curious if anyone knows of a TV screen that can handle the resolution necessary for running a computer. I've been able to use wireless keyboards, TV-out video cards etc and get fantastic HT DVD and Music but when it comes to applications,games, or the internet the image is terrible.

Does anyone know if there is a plasma or any display available or in the pipeline that could function as a true HT display? Say 1920X1080 resolution? I've seen some TV's that allow 1280x768 but this is way too low and the image looks terrible compared to even the cheapest CRT monitor. I'm really looking forward to the day when I can do everything in my living room but the display issue is always sticking me

If anyone has any information or possibly a link to a place that would have this type of information I'd greatly appreciate it.

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
I was looking for the same thing about 12 months ago. I didn't want to shell out for both a brand new TV and PC monitor if I could get something that could do both well. Unfortunately the closest I could get were Sony Plasmas that had max displays of about 1024x768, and they cost about £6000 at the time.

Panasonic's latest 127cm Plasma, the TH50PV30B has a max res of 1366 x 768 and costs £4740 / ~$7000 and Sony's KE50MR1 has the same max res and costs £6980 / $10500. Granted you could probably get them cheaper, but they still don't hit the resolutions you're talking about.

I think we're gonna be waiting for a while yet. Maybe LCD TVs will get there first, but otherwise, it's worth remembering that TVs and PC monitors are very different beasts - we watch our TVs from over 6ft away - imagine looking at your monitor from that distance.

[Edit: modified last paragraph]

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2765&st=0#entry21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by arkus on 04/27/04 07:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>