[SOLVED] True "KILL the Power" Switch System?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hi

We have bad storms with lightning, high winds and very heavy rain, hail and also blackouts/brown outs/load shedding at different times of year where I live and this is obviously terrible for my PC.
As a result - I have to resort to physically unplugging both my 4KTV and my computer every day when I'm going to bed and plug it all back in in the morning.
May not sound like much of a chore - but I could do without it!

It would be nice if i could just press a button on my phone etc and know it's done.

I want to find out if there is some kind of electrical switch I can get where I press a button or via WIFI/Bluetooth etc - and it kills the power to the device DEAD.
No standby, no small amount of power still running into the surge board or device 24/7.

Purpose of course being completely and utterly cutting off the surge board or device from any chance of power surging through it or function at all. Eg in the case of lightning strikes, blackouts etc as said above

For example - I imagine something like a Bridge over a river connecting the road on both sides of the river. Imagine you just pick up the bridge and remove it completely.... no chance any cars will drive over.
Whether this can be done physically/mechanically like moving a switch or like removing a battery or just moving it around enough that it can't connect... or maybe it could be done somehow digitally (but would be less likely to trust it)?

Anything like this exist... it would also be nice if they were built into UPS's etc?

If this kind of switch doesn't exist - could it be made DIY (or by an electrician?) relatively cheaply? How would you do it?

I assume those 'WIFI Surge boards/switches' etc don't completely utterly remove any possibility of power running through your devices?
So if you did get a surge from lightning or bad power - it would still fry or damage your stuff plugged into it right?

It would also be great to have a device on your roof that can detect thunder/lightning/high winds/rain beyond certain force etc - that could talk to the power killing device and shut things down when needed?
A pipe dream I know... ho hum.

cheers

Solution
hi, there are some
wallplugs with remote controller (infra/wireless)
or smart wall plugs (phone controllable even outside as long you got internet) mostly as google/alexa compatible
or smart circuit breakers
The problem with these is that means your electronics are still connected to your houses circuits and if your house suffers greatly from a lightening strike it can still damage your electronics by chance. All these product also assume that they have internet access, but if your power goes out you cannot turn them on or off, its too late.
Flip your breaker for that room. Buy a Tripp lite Isobar surge protector and plug a good quality UPS into that and then all of your electronics into the UPS that you want running in case of an outage. The tripp lite isobar comes with 50k insurance in case of damage to your electronics. The UPS would insure that you do not lose data when the power goes out and protect from brownouts 100%.

hi, there are some
wallplugs with remote controller (infra/wireless)
or smart wall plugs (phone controllable even outside as long you got internet) mostly as google/alexa compatible
or smart circuit breakers
The problem with these is that means your electronics are still connected to your houses circuits and if your house suffers greatly from a lightening strike it can still damage your electronics by chance. All these product also assume that they have internet access, but if your power goes out you cannot turn them on or off, its too late.

Solution
The problem with these is that means your electronics are still connected to your houses circuits and if your house suffers greatly from a lightening strike it can still damage your electronics by chance.
circuit breakers are made to prevent your house catching fire
you can add surge protector to a circuit breaker box, in case of lightning it would turn breakers off
and add voltage stabiliser

Reactions: helper800
^ to be fair, even throwing a breaker isn't going to isolate the house wiring from induction if it's a close strike. What you are doing now is the most effective way to isolate the hardware.
Agreed, but tripplite is so confidant in their isobar that they put 50K insurance on their products to protect yours. I had my isobar take a lightning strike directly on our power lines 30 feet from the house and it tanked it like a boss.