"True" multiple monitors possible?

csukar

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
Hi i was just wondering if there is anyway to use my second monitor at the same time as i game, i have my computer hooked up to my TV and a little 20 something inch monitor and would like to use both at the same time.

I don't just mean set up multiple displays and click out of the game onto the second screen, i mean so that someone else can go on the internet or whatever on the little screen whilst i'm gaming on the big screen using my xbox controller.

I know if you play in borderless mode you can move the mouse over to the second screen but when you click on anything you lose control of the game.
I have found software that allows multiple cursors to be used but i don't know if that would work.
Does anyone know if such a thing can be done?

Seems pretty simple when i think about it, just stop the game from minimizing or graying out when clicking off the screen and allow the controller to keep working, but i'm guessing it's, more complicated than that :p

Solution
Unfortunately Windows is very set on having a window in focus and pushing all of the inputs to that window. Even if you hook two mice up to the system they both control the same cursor on the screen, it cannot handle differentiating their inputs into two separate cursors.

Really you want a smaller second system hooked up to the second screen and the second screen hooked up to your primary system so you can hit the input button on the screen and switch it over to the secondary system, that is the only way to accomplish what you are hoping for.
Unfortunately Windows is very set on having a window in focus and pushing all of the inputs to that window. Even if you hook two mice up to the system they both control the same cursor on the screen, it cannot handle differentiating their inputs into two separate cursors.

Really you want a smaller second system hooked up to the second screen and the second screen hooked up to your primary system so you can hit the input button on the screen and switch it over to the secondary system, that is the only way to accomplish what you are hoping for.

Solution

csukar

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
Ok thanks for your answers but I've actually managed to figure it out, by using Display fusion pros "prevent window deactivation" and True multiple monitors I've got it to work, but some of the sound effects from the game stop working when i use the small monitor, like the guns firing etc. But i can live with that, i only wanted it so my girlfriend could use the little screen whilst i'm gaming :p

You have two functional keyboards and mice on a system that are completely independent??? Does that come in their free version or do you have to spend the $25 to get the real version to get that functionality? The free version doesn't seem to provide any functionality that Windows doesn't already so if it works in the free version i may be able to coerce windows into doing it by itself. I'm intrigued!