Truecrypt - 'force dismount?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidofkent

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I've been using Truecrypt for years now, without any problems. But now, using the latest version, on a PC running XP, whenever I try to close a volume, I am ALWAYS given the message:
'Volume contains files or folders being used by applications or system. Force dismount?'
I have never had this problem before. I dind it bewildering that this message appears even if I have not done anything in that volume, i.e., I have not read, viewed, edited, moved, or deleted any file in it.
I understand that forcing a dismount can damage a volume, so I would really
like to know what is causing this.
Can anyone advise please?
Many thanks.
David

davidofkent

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I cannot understand what could be holding it open. I would add also add that
I have even made an empty directory into a volume and yet I when I try to dismount it, I still get the message that there is a file being used (and yet, as I
say, the volume is merely an empty directory not being viewed, used, etc).
As far as your suggestion, 'If you haven't already, I'd disable the indexing service for this drive or all drives', I'm sorry but I do not understand what you mean by this. What is the 'indexing service'?

XP uses an indexing service to make searches faster. It runs in the background. Like most services, they start the moment windows is finished booting.

Go to the control panel/administrative tools and run "services". All the services listed as automatic run immediately when windows boots up. Anyhow, if you want to disable the service completely scrool down until you see "indexing service", right click and select "properties". Change the startup type to "disabled" or "manual" and click the ok button. This disables the service on next reboot. You can also hit the stop button at top to stop it for the current session. If you do this, there is no need to read further.

To disable for a single drive, go to "my computer" right click the drive and select "properties". On the general tab, at bottom is "Allow indexing service..." uncheck it and clcik on both "apply" and "ok".

davidofkent

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Many thanks for this. I followed your instructions. While TC still refused to unmount without forcing, a day later it suddenly began to do this withot any trouble - hence I thought the solution had been found. Very pleased!
However, to my amazement, and disappointment, the same problem has now started again (just to be sure I have checked the 'Allow Indexing Service' and it is still unclicked).
If anyone can help, I would be very grateful.
Thanks

G

Had the same problem for a long-time now. Didn't find any clues searching on the internet. Recently, I disabled the AV other background programs and went through the "services" list disabling possible problem services one by one testing each trying to dismount. Surprisingly on the list I found "Defragmentation-Service" - "Ashampoo Defrag Service - powered by mst software". Disabled this and TrueCrypt Dismounted without any problems. Thing is I didn't even Install any defrag software! This was installed as part of Ashampoo Uninstaller. So in your case, it could also be a bad software like this causing the problem.

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS