Question TrueNAS and stuck with wifi ?

Long story short, i'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to PC's, but I'm not a networking kind of guy, Anyway I built a Truenas server out of some low power AM1 AMD Sempron 1.4ghz dual core thing, Its too slow for modern Operating systems but works well enough for a nas gigabit at least.

I'm in a situation where I now have to use wifi and the NAS can't be where the router is.

The NAS is hooked up with a tp-link 1750mbps range extender and its on the 5ghz band so like 1200mbps.

My main PC I use the Asus pce-ac88 4x4 card, its quite a bit faster than that tp-link thing.

I do have a smart tp-link 10 port switch I do tie everything together with so my main PC can access the Nas at full gigabit which is awesome, but then my network data on my main PC is going through the tp-link, and that thing when Im transferring data to the NAS from my garage pc for example, that tp-link will have massive ping spikes, pages wont load real fast until its done moving files.

What I would like to do if possible is have my main PC still access the NAS at gigabit speeds through its ethernet port but use the asus wifi card for internet data so I wont get them slow downs if I have another PC moving loads of files to the NAS, if that makes any sense.

I tried setting up the nic on my main PC to share the network which it shares the internet but then I can't seem to access the NAS as I think its on its own virtual network even though the subnet and local ip is in the same range. I do need the other PC's to be able to access the NAS otherwise I'd just share a drive on my main to the network which might be the better route but I don't want to keep my PC on all the time, the NAS I could care less.

Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Long story short, i'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to PC's, but I'm not a networking kind of guy, Anyway I built a Truenas server out of some low power AM1 AMD Sempron 1.4ghz dual core thing, Its too slow for modern Operating systems but works well enough for a nas gigabit at least.

I'm in a situation where I now have to use wifi and the NAS can't be where the router is.

The NAS is hooked up with a tp-link 1750mbps range extender and its on the 5ghz band so like 1200mbps.

My main PC I use the Asus pce-ac88 4x4 card, its quite a bit faster than that tp-link thing.

I do have a smart tp-link 10 port switch I do tie everything together with so my main PC can access the Nas at full gigabit which is awesome, but then my network data on my main PC is going through the tp-link, and that thing when Im transferring data to the NAS from my garage pc for example, that tp-link will have massive ping spikes, pages wont load real fast until its done moving files.

What I would like to do if possible is have my main PC still access the NAS at gigabit speeds through its ethernet port but use the asus wifi card for internet data so I wont get them slow downs if I have another PC moving loads of files to the NAS, if that makes any sense.

I tried setting up the nic on my main PC to share the network which it shares the internet but then I can't seem to access the NAS as I think its on its own virtual network even though the subnet and local ip is in the same range. I do need the other PC's to be able to access the NAS otherwise I'd just share a drive on my main to the network which might be the better route but I don't want to keep my PC on all the time, the NAS I could care less.

Thanks!
First, are you sure ALL the traffic to the NAS is going across the wired network? You do have two paths to the NAS so windows might be confused.

First, are you sure ALL the traffic to the NAS is going across the wired network? You do have two paths to the NAS so windows might be confused.
I think that was the case, I did get it sorted out.

The motherboard for the Nas only has 1 nic, I found adding a 2nd USB nic to the Nas and assigning a different IPv4 address thats not in the same subnet works if I hook it up directly to my main PC's nic, it defaulted to 192.168.137.200 and a subnet of 255.255.0.0 which I just set it as a static IPv4 on the Nas for just that nic, easy enough for me to remember. And I set that same subnet for the nic on my main PC.

The other nic on the Nas is 192.168.0.200 and on the 255.255.255.0 subnet and I can still access the nas from the entire network on all my devices.

This allows me to still be able to use my main PC's wifi yet still able to transfer files at gigabit speeds over ethernet without my main PC tring to use the range repeater that im using on that Nas.

I did try to hook up my 10 port smart switch, between my PC and the Nas, and it was such a headache, like it wouldn't remember the subnet or anything, and if it did, another PC I hooked up to the switch, then the switch just freaked out and rebooted on its own. So I used a D-link 5 port unmanaged switch and it worked fine with that strange subnet and if I do happen to work on a PC at home, I can hook it directly to that switch and it can get files at gigabit speeds and I can share my internet connection on my main PC to the switch and it works great.

I hate renting, im not allowed to drill holes and put in ethernet jacks and the power line adapters are junk in this place, so I have to go to wireless as I don't want to run a 100 foot wire to the other side of the house.

I do think you were right with it confusing windows, had to do some reading and testing to figure it out, Networking is fun but man its a headache sometimes lol.

Do you have Coaxial TV outlets in your rental? If so, then you can try Moca which will give you full gigabit speeds, and more with the latest MOCA 2.5 standard.

Also, wifi is half duplex so if your wifi connection speed is 1200mbps, then the most you can transfer is 600mbps. Also, most advertised speeds are with the 160mhz channel width, but in most cases you can't use 160mhz channel width realistically with 5ghz. So you can only reliably do 80mhz channel width which drops your speed even further.