News Trump Flip-Flops on Huawei Once Again

Aug 10, 2019
Talk about "fake news", this article doesn't just imply, it outright states President Trump made an unilateral decision to ban Huawei. That's fake news.

President Trump signed into law the 2019 Defense Authorization Act on 13 Aug. This bipartisan bill passed both the US House and Senate, and bans the US government, or anyone who does business with the US government, from using Huawei or ZTE technology over security concerns.

I expect Tom's Hardware will make a retraction as soon as possible over this sloppy opinion piece. I'd hate to throw TH in with all the other rags not fit for public consumption.

recycledelectrons

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
No personal attacks
How do I get off this roller coaster? I have whiplash.

You know as well as I do that President Trump's actions are good negotiation tactics dealing with the Chinese. Your dishonest criticism of his tactics makes it harder for him to help our economy. I guess you want the US to surrender what little economy we have left to the Chinese.

PERSONAL ATTACK REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gio2vanni86

recycledelectrons

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Talk about "fake news", this article doesn't just imply, it outright states President Trump made an unilateral decision to ban Huawei. That's fake news.

President Trump signed into law the 2019 Defense Authorization Act on 13 Aug. This bipartisan bill passed both the US House and Senate, and bans the US government, or anyone who does business with the US government, from using Huawei or ZTE technology over security concerns.

I expect Tom's Hardware will make a retraction as soon as possible over this sloppy opinion piece. I'd hate to throw TH in with all the other rags not fit for public consumption.

They will never retract. These rabid anti-american scum hate Trump more than you can imagine. They hate a sitting US president so much they are sabotaging his foreign affairs!?!?

Do you remember when Jim Acosta sabotaged up the US/North Korea nuclear talks?

Reactions: seagatedoge

masaji

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

He's unilaterally trying to ban Huawei from doing business with private companies by executive order, which he can do, and not merely government agencies as with the special provision in the NDAA, which is actually referenced in this very article, and yet you claim TH is "outright" claiming otherwise.

Doing so may give him less leverage in the trade war, so he's flip-flopping like a 10lb lake trout.

Last edited:
What I find funny is all you guys thinking this is a good business solution - tariffs sure did work in the past!
Newsflash : tariffs never worked even once in the long term.
Do you really think that this will make US companies bring back manufacturing of high precision commodity hardware on US soil? No way!
- a good Founder's Descendant won't work in a sweat shop 13 hours a day for peanuts
- there won't be any Latinos available to to it instead, since they'll be kept at bay by the Mexican border wall
- whenever tariffs go up, a simple solution is to devaluate the currency - something the US have done MANY times in the past, China can do it in a snap too (they actually started doing it) which simply nullifies the effect of tariffs
- forbidding US companies from buying from a Chinese company is easily worked around : sell the same product under another brand (if Huawei is a problem, why not buy from Xiaomi instead?)
- even if US companies started buying from other Asian coutries like South Korea or Japan, where do you think these countries have their own goods made? Yeah, mainland China. And forget about Taiwan, that poor island is already at full capacity and keeps having problems with hurricanes and floods.
- last but not least, even if companies were ready to pay more for US workers to actually do the work without raising finished goods prices (yeah, fat chance), there simply is NOT ENOUGH SKILLED WORKFORCE IN ELECTRONICS in the US.
Just look at how much trouble Tesla is having building their cars, and how lousy the finishing is on them.

So yeah, Trump is flip-flopping - that's always been his business method. Problem is, China invented international trade (Silk Road, 2500 years ago), can be self sufficient (it's 1/5th of the world population, the largest market in the world) and if there's one thing Chinese Commies know, it's Patience.

until the people get pushed to far and rebel agaisnt their corrupt government and then have nobody to head it.
TL;DR pot, meet kettle.
Thing is, while the current government calls itself "communist", it's gotten very close to what it was when an emperor ruled China with the best administration ever (and the army power was limited).
And it worked for 2700 years, because somewhere along the line a guy named Confucius said "a good government stays in place because it's taking care of its people". And Chinese people have access to health care, education, transports, security and if push comes to shove, a job in the army.
There are far less bums in the streets of Beijing or Shanghai than there is in New York or Washington. Moreover, when you call the Chinese government corrupt, it sure is - but then, the US government has legalized corruption (see lobbies).
And no, I'm not saying it's a perfect government, far from it; but is it any worse than a government that says video games kill and firearms don't, that global warming is a myth, that isolationism is the path to greatness and that only people who have money should be entitled to quality education?

Reactions: Olle P

ree73515

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
What I find funny is all you guys thinking this is a good business solution - tariffs sure did work in the past!
Newsflash : tariffs never worked even once in the long term.
Do you really think that this will make US companies bring back manufacturing of high precision commodity hardware on US soil? No way!
  • a good Founder's Descendant won't work in a sweat shop 13 hours a day for peanuts
  • there won't be any Latinos available to to it instead, since they'll be kept at bay by the Mexican border wall
  • whenever tariffs go up, a simple solution is to devaluate the currency - something the US have done MANY times in the past, China can do it in a snap too (they actually started doing it) which simply nullifies the effect of tariffs
  • forbidding US companies from buying from a Chinese company is easily worked around : sell the same product under another brand (if Huawei is a problem, why not buy from Xiaomi instead?)
  • even if US companies started buying from other Asian coutries like South Korea or Japan, where do you think these countries have their own goods made? Yeah, mainland China. And forget about Taiwan, that poor island is already at full capacity and keeps having problems with hurricanes and floods.
  • last but not least, even if companies were ready to pay more for US workers to actually do the work without raising finished goods prices (yeah, fat chance), there simply is NOT ENOUGH SKILLED WORKFORCE IN ELECTRONICS in the US.
Just look at how much trouble Tesla is having building their cars, and how lousy the finishing is on them.

So yeah, Trump is flip-flopping - that's always been his business method. Problem is, China invented international trade (Silk Road, 2500 years ago), can be self sufficient (it's 1/5th of the world population, the largest market in the world) and if there's one thing Chinese Commies know, it's Patience.
Chinse goverment,ccp (communist party of China) has not been an honest player since it joined the WTO, stealing IP, pressuring companies to transfer technology, charging extreal tax for imported goods (not following the WTO rules). That is why Trump is uing tariff. Trump wants to presssure all the foreign ompanies to move out of China It is working! Lots of companies have moved out or are going to move out of China. A lot of them have moved to Taiwan and Vietnam.

The article is bias. It doesn't tell you what the CCP has been doing as they are continuouslly breaking promises. What do you expect Trump to do? Just be a punch bag and keep letting the CCP abuse the Amercian people and companies? This journalist should do his homework, and have intergritly by not publishing a biased article.

ree73515

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
TL;DR pot, meet kettle.
Thing is, while the current government calls itself "communist", it's gotten very close to what it was when an emperor ruled China with the best administration ever (and the army power was limited).
And it worked for 2700 years, because somewhere along the line a guy named Confucius said "a good government stays in place because it's taking care of its people". And Chinese people have access to health care, education, transports, security and if push comes to shove, a job in the army.
There are far less bums in the streets of Beijing or Shanghai than there is in New York or Washington. Moreover, when you call the Chinese government corrupt, it sure is - but then, the US government has legalized corruption (see lobbies).
And no, I'm not saying it's a perfect government, far from it; but is it any worse than a government that says video games kill and firearms don't, that global warming is a myth, that isolationism is the path to greatness and that only people who have money should be entitled to quality education?
Yes, the Chinese economy has improved a lot since it joined the WTO. Part of the reason is that the CCP has been abusing the WTO rules and taking advantage of other countries.
Sure, the road in Beijing has less bums, but what is the cost? The CCP has been sacrificing the environment. The pollution is really bad in China. If you have been to Beijing, you will know the air is really bad.
The CCP doesn’t take good care of its people. Millions have been killed since 1949 if you study Chinese history. It is a totalitarian government. There is no freedom of speech. The Nobel-prize winner, Liu Xiaobo, was put into prison and ended up dying there. That’s just one of many examples of the persecution that is occurring in China.
Not all Chinese people have access to health care. For those who have, only part of their medical bill is covered. As a matter of fact, many Chinese people cannot afford to get treatment for serious diseases such as heart disease, or other diseases that have costly treatments.
Lots of families become bankrupt because one member of their family has a serious disease and the treatments are so costly.

Yes, the Chinese economy has improved a lot since it joined the WTO. Part of the reason is that the CCP has been abusing the WTO rules and taking advantage of other countries.
Sure, the road in Beijing has less bums, but what is the cost? The CCP has been sacrificing the environment. The pollution is really bad in China. If you have been to Beijing, you will know the air is really bad.
The CCP doesn’t take good care of its people. Millions have been killed since 1949 if you study Chinese history. It is a totalitarian government. There is no freedom of speech. The Nobel-prize winner, Liu Xiaobo, was put into prison and ended up dying there. That’s just one of many examples of the persecution that is occurring in China.
Not all Chinese people have access to health care. For those who have, only part of their medical bill is covered. As a matter of fact, many Chinese people cannot afford to get treatment for serious diseases such as heart disease, or other diseases that have costly treatments.
Lots of families become bankrupt because one member of their family has a serious disease and the treatments are so costly.
Because things are any better in the US?

And Chinese people have access to health care, education, transports, security and if push comes to shove, a job in the army.
and moment you do something wrong you are severely punished, potential fallback to your family members just for being related to you.

Not saying China doesnt have some things going for it.
Moreover, when you call the Chinese government corrupt, it sure is - but then, the US government has legalized corruption (see lobbies).
no government ISNT corrupt.
Just Chinese one is extremely oppressive and controlling.
that global warming is a myth
it isnt, but then again the ppl who say we can stop it are just as bad.

Science and history have proven the cold/warm cycle IS a cycle and we are still in the end of an ice-age (so planet is going to gte warmer and warmer). We may have warmed it up, but it was also goign to get warm no matter what (so we just made the need to find solutions a bit ahead of schedule.)

I can say I hate our leader, state rep, w/e and post articles/pics of them in bad light and not be punished for it.

try that in China...you'd be executed.

and i have the entire web to view not only what the government WANTS me to see.

ree73515

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
Absolutely, the States is way better compared to China. There are so many Chinese people trying very hard to immigrate to the States legally or illegally. Some even died trying to cross the ocean from China . The US is not a perfect country, it has many problems but it is way better than China, otherwise, why would there be so many people (including Chinese) trying to immigrate to the USA? The US has a lot to offer compared to China.

and moment you do something wrong you are severely punished, potential fallback to your family members just for being related to you.

Not saying China doesnt have some things going for it.

no government ISNT corrupt.
Just Chinese one is extremely oppressive and controlling.
At least it doesn't depend on your skin colour, nor the size of your bank account.
it isnt, but then again the ppl who say we can stop it are just as bad.

Science and history have proven the cold/warm cycle IS a cycle and we are still in the end of an ice-age (so planet is going to gte warmer and warmer). We may have warmed it up, but it was also goign to get warm no matter what (so we just made the need to find solutions a bit ahead of schedule.)
Science did prove that there was never such a violent rise in temperature in all previous cycles.
I can say I hate our leader, state rep, w/e and post articles/pics of them in bad light and not be punished for it.

try that in China...you'd be executed.

and i have the entire web to view not only what the government WANTS me to see.
No, you don't get executed for that - you get jailed (which is little better, I admit). However the Chinese are rather smart, and criticism is mostly done through parodies, allegories and such (which more often than not don't get picked on). Also, there are other ways to get rid of someone mouthing off our great leaders, here in the West.

Case in point, yes, I've been to Beijing several times these past few years. I have seen a smog so thick you couldn't see from one side of an avenue to the other. And then they voted the latest 5-year plan for green energy and lowering pollution - with drastic results, I couldn't believe my eyes : Beijing had changed from being like Mexico to being like London.

Not to mention, Internet might be controlled, but then you do get high-speed access even in the boonies, for cheap. Please tell me what happened to the last US town that tried to give that to its inhabitants (hint: a judge said they can't anymore). Also, what happened to Net Neutrality? Who control the GAFAM?

randomizer

Champion
How do I get off this roller coaster? I have whiplash.

It's unfortunate that a news article is written somewhere in the world for every keystroke Trump makes on Twitter. Surely there are more interesting things to write about than his ramblings.

What happened to "No G.R.A.P.E.S."?

That rule is for the community, not editorial staff. It is also relaxed for comments on articles such as this since they necessitate discussion about politics. That doesn't mean any other rules are relaxed.

Reactions: AllanGH
At least it doesn't depend on your skin colour, nor the size of your bank account.
yeah...but then again even America had "freedom of choice".

Never tried to control a religious faith.

Assuming you know what China did do try and "coerce" the future Bhuddist faith?

Bad enough that current Dalai lama said not to trust any chinese involvement in who they claim is the 15th one. (and for good reason)

America only has true "freedom of choice" for those who are members of the billionaire class, and gives every appearance of being controlled by a religious faith, of sorts--if you count some twisted, hypocritical, wallet-serving form of Southern Baptism, blended with Scientology, as a true religious faith.

I am disgusted by what China has done to the Land of Snow; but no less than I am disgusted by what the RWNJs are doing to the common person in this country.

We are well on our way to becoming an illiterate, third-world backwater nation; and this current administration has only added overtones of corporate-serving banana repuclicanism to the flavor of the downward spiral.

therickmu25

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
It actually makes you a patriotic American, and an intelligent one at that.

Trump and our Government is a Tyrannical!
Now please take away my guns and tax me 70% for “free” healthcare

Things have never been better, you guys need to wake up and get off the fake news bandwagon.

yeah...but then again even America had "freedom of choice".

Never tried to control a religious faith.

Assuming you know what China did do try and "coerce" the future Bhuddist faith?

Bad enough that current Dalai lama said not to trust any chinese involvement in who they claim is the 15th one. (and for good reason)
Careful about the Dalai Lama - it's a very polarizing subject even in Tibet. I know guys from Tibet who hate his guts as the representation of the extremely harsh caste system that was prevalent before the Chinese invasion (which, in the grand scope of History, is only the latest in a long series of conflicts between the Middle Kingdom and all its territories). The guy could be wise as heck (and most likely is), he's human like the rest of us.
As a reverse example, just ask the Muslims of the city of Ci'an how they feel about the actions led by the CIA in Iran (and Irak, but that's a sore subject after sept. 11) since 1953.

Absolutely, the States is way better compared to China. There are so many Chinese people trying very hard to immigrate to the States legally or illegally. Some even died trying to cross the ocean from China . The US is not a perfect country, it has many problems but it is way better than China, otherwise, why would there be so many people (including Chinese) trying to immigrate to the USA? The US has a lot to offer compared to China.
Yeah, I know - I actually know a bunch of them, actually. But were any of them born in the last 30 years? Because all those I know are older than that (when living in China was actually really harsh). The younger generation is more into getting professional experience and money aboard then going back to China to get a well-paying job and live the easy life. It's also easier to get a masters degree abroad than in China : in the US you only need to pay the big bucks to get a degree, in China, competition is fierce to enter the best universities.