News Trump: No Tariff Waivers for Mac Pro Components

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oh and more recently foxconn was behind on iphone x manufacturing after a shortage of workers (presumably since they all died or quit) so they turned to making children work overtime, which was against china child labor laws.
Yay!

https://www.ft.com/content/292f223a-cf6f-11e7-b781-794ce08b24dc

Something needs to happen in china. It has gotten out of hand. Horrible working conditions, horrible pollution issuses, horrible pay, spying government, the list goes on. America needs to stop supporting this unti china shapes up and brings themselves to the standards of a first world country.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
A lot of things are about to change in China with or without US involvement. The issue with Hong Kong, the growing middle class, and the consolidation of power in the leader for life. The only way to address those things are by decreasing the power of the Communist Party which in turn helps stop many of the human rights abuses by China and push China into a 1st world country.
I don't know how you think things are going to change, but I'll say this: I used to hope North Korea would see China as a model they could follow, and become more moderate, like them. Since Xi Jinping assumed power, it seems like we've instead seen China become a lot more like North Korea.

I don't see any mechanism for the Chinese government (or Communist Party) to reform or become more moderate. Granted, I'm an outsider and not exactly a China expert, but it seems things go according to the whims of the Party leader and Politburo. The people are powerless to change any of it, and mass surveillance can quickly quell any dissent.

One of the things I worry about most is the tendency of authoritarian regimes to focus popular discontent on external factors. So, with economic growth tapering off, I expect to see more conflict with China's neighbors, the US, and possibly even a move to re-take Taiwan.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
As noted in the article, it's not actually his decision. It's the USTR's call, and they've been denying a lot of requests for exemptions. So, I don't expect Apple will receive special treatment. I think his tweet was just pointing out that they won't get special treatment, so they'd be better off focusing on shifting their manufacturing if they don't want to be subject to the tariff.
Generally, I'd like to be confident in this. I want to be.

But, I am not. I've seen far too much with this moron of how his appointees, and the party he co-opted, turn his temper-tantrums into policy. He angrily tweets something, and then policy moves.

I'd like to think that the administration overall keeps his worst impulses under control. But he's simply fired and rehired his way into a full cadre of yes-men.

So - to me, it doesn't matter whether or not Apple deserves it or not. It matters that the decision is being made by a clueless idiot child, and that a government is allowing a toddler to make decisions FAR beyond his capability.

We used to laugh about how in the old days, due to hereditary hierarchy monarchy, a child would be running a nation. Is this any different?

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Generally, I'd like to be confident in this. I want to be.
Like I said, the USTR isn't handing out many exemptions. So, they were almost guaranteed not to get one, anyhow. Trump was just playing off them to try to boost US manufacturing, even though that's not where most of the manufacturing displaced from China is going.

And don't forget my other point, which is that he can't be arbitrary and capricious, when deciding how to enforce federal laws. If he is, then it would be grounds for Apple to sue.

You have to take these things on a case-by-case basis and reserve criticism and condemnation for those cases where it's actually supported by the facts. You're right that he seems quite impulsive about many things, and my statements should not be seen as any kind of defense of Trump - just a close reading of this particular incident.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Foxconn, the company that makes iphones, had to put anti-suicide nets out of the windows since the workers are in such bad conditions.
Source:https://www.theguardian.com/technol...pple-iphone-brian-merchant-one-device-extract

"Most of the (foxconn) workers have no comments about the popular Apple products since they have never dreamed of owning the gadgets since their salaries are only enough to buy a knockoff version."

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-shocking-conditions-inside-chinas-brutal-foxconn-factory-2010-5

This reminds me very much of the lives of ex slaves in the late 1800s. They werent enslaves, but they were forced to work for very little money and be treated like animals.
So, the second article is from when this first caught public attention - 9 years ago. The first one is from 2 years ago, where it certainly sounds bleak, but there's no indication the suicides are continuing. It's a cool read, though.

Anyway, thanks for finding the articles about the "interns". That's incredibly sketchy to call the "interns", and I'm glad they got busted for working them overtime.

Something needs to happen in china. It has gotten out of hand. Horrible working conditions, horrible pollution issuses, horrible pay, spying government, the list goes on. America needs to stop supporting this unti china shapes up and brings themselves to the standards of a first world country.
Heh, if you haven't noticed Trump is having enough trouble just trying to get China to behave more in line with America's interests. You want him to try and take on all of that, as well?

Remember how the US embargoed Cuba for over 50 years, and that didn't really change anything. And Cuba is a much smaller country, right on our doorstep. The reality is that China is going to have to sort out its own problems. I guess the US could've refused to trade with countries that had inferior labor & environmental standards - that would've helped both them and us. But, it's a bit late for that, now.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS