News Trump Says Apple's Cook Made 'Good Case' About Tariffs

Co BIY

Splendid
Reading "Apple's Case" here I'm not sure I agree with Trump that it's a good case.

Apple has chosen to become extremely dependent on the Chinese Communist Dictatorship while it's tough competitor has a better diversified manufacturing base not dependent on an oppressive regime's low cost labor (well they still manufacture in Vietnam but apparently not as much). Lots of Political risk there and it is not a new or sudden development.

I have to say this is actually the mildest most reasonable Trump comment I can remember. He makes clear he listened respectfully to Cook but promised nothing. Sounds like a boring politician.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
@bit_user - re: our previous bit of conversation regarding tariffs and Apple . . I'm thinking it's definitely going to be a "whatever his mood is at the moment" decision.
He didn't (reportedly) do anything except agree with Cook's position. If he intervenes to issue them an exemption, I think Samsung would probably have grounds to sue.

What I'm more concerned about is that he could widen tariffs to hit Vietnam and possibly even South Korea.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Apple has chosen to become extremely dependent on the Chinese Communist Dictatorship while it's tough competitor has a better diversified manufacturing base not dependent on an oppressive regime's low cost labor (well they still manufacture in Vietnam but apparently not as much).
Samsung has previously manufactured in North Korea (in a special industrial area setup specifically for South Korean companies to take advantage of cheap North Korean labor). I don't know if that's currently true, or if that economic zone is still closed (from a few years ago).

So, if you're casting this in moral terms, Samsung is no angel. I'm sure North Korean workers' rights are even worse than Chinese'.

I have to say this is actually the mildest most reasonable Trump comment I can remember. He makes clear he listened respectfully to Cook but promised nothing. Sounds like a boring politician.
Yeah, pretty much my take, as well.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
He didn't (reportedly) do anything except agree with Cook's position. If he intervenes to issue them an exemption, I think Samsung would probably have grounds to sue.

What I'm more concerned about is that he could widen tariffs to hit Vietnam and possibly even South Korea.

I question whether he's even aware that those are separate countries, rather than cities in China.

"Beijing, Vietnam, Dayton, Toledo .. what's the difference?" :rolleyes:

Reactions: bit_user