Question Trusted apps like ccleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2019
These apps actually doing something good?
I wanted to have one in my pc but idk what to choose.
I heard about ccleaner, wise care.Which is good?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Personally I would avoid all of them unless absolutely necessary. CCleaner is the better one of all of them and is mostly fine, but everything this software can do, you can do yourself through normal windows operation.

Disk Cleanup / Trim = Disk Cleanup in Windows
Startup Optimisation = Task Manager > Startup
Browser Clean = Browser history cleanup through your browser
Disable and Uninstall apps = Control Panel or Software specific uninstallers

If I were to use any, I would use CCleaner and it can be useful to have all of these tools under one roof, but you can do all of these yourself, but the word of warning I would give, is anything that has a registry cleaner, should be avoided. Cleaning a registry does not help your PC, and messing with the registry will either do nothing, or do harm - as most of these programs do eventually.

If you want the comfort of using a bunch of cleanup tools under one roof, CCleaner is potentially the only one I would use, but only as a last resort really. And regardless, avoid its registry cleaner and any registry cleaner software.

Last edited:

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
If you're willing to try one software other than ccleaner, I would highly recommend these on this site:

PS: As you'll read on his site, they're developed by a Microsoft employee.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
@JustAsking1234 I must say ccleaner doesn’t slow down any PC and also it is one of the best Apps to clean unwanted files.
True, i have tried many apps some of them slow down the PC and sometime don't clean very much but ccleaner is amazing.
This can be true, yet the general consensus is, everything CCleaner can do, you can really do yourself also.
It's just useful to have it all under one roof if that's what you want.

But as always, avoid using CCleaners registry cleaner anyway!

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Reactions: PC Tailor

Sagar_20

Distinguished
I agree.

Clean registry has only given me problems, though i only use ccleaner to fix registry issues.

Some days back, for the first time i experienced something called "slow right-click" problem. I'm not sure if that was because of registry issue but it turns out that Daemon Tools was the culprit. This i found while troubleshooting with an app called shell extensions manager.

and currently i don't have the "new" option in right click.

also when i right click on "My computer", i'm not redirected to the "Systems" page i just get a normal properties page just like some .exe file properties, however when i'm inside my computer then properties from right click takes me to system.

I've so many little problems that i would probably need to reinstall the windows.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Clean registry has only given me problems, though i only use ccleaner to fix registry issues.
Personally, I wouldn't even do that.
There is no evidence to suggest that a "unclean" registry can cause any issue. And I've yet to see a Registry Cleaner actually solve an issue.

Registry cleaners are much more likely to remove files that shouldn't be removed, which can then corrupt the OS. And ultimately, they've shown to cause more harm than good, regardless as to who programs it.

Frankly I think it's a bit of a shame that Piriform have a registry cleaner, because then I think it's a solid product that brings various tools under one roof, with a handy interface to suit, however I wished they focused their attention to tools that could actually make a difference rather than suck people into the marketing trap of "registry cleaning" I honestly believe if it didn't have that feature, I'd recommend it significantly more.

USAFRet

Titan
I agree.

Some days back, for the first time i experienced something called "slow right-click" problem. I'm not sure if that was because of registry issue but it turns out that Daemon Tools was the culprit. This i found while troubleshooting with an app called shell extensions manager.

and currently i don't have the "new" option in right click.

also when i right click on "My computer", i'm not redirected to the "Systems" page i just get a normal properties page just like some .exe file properties, however when i'm inside my computer then properties from right click takes me to system.

I've so many little problems that i would probably need to reinstall the windows.
That certainly sounds like a borked up OS install.
Wipe and reinstall would be indicated.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Status
Not open for further replies.