Question Try as I may, I cannot see a certain computer from another on my home network

Jim Rockford P.I.

Commendable
Nov 1, 2020
I have a PC running Windows running Windows 10 ver. 22H2 and a laptop running the same, except for a minor variation in the build, on my home network. Both have an OS partition and a Data partition. I want to access the Data partition of the other from each machine, but cannot. I am able to see and map to the laptop from the PC, but am unable to see ot map to the PC. I can see the laptop from the PC and copy and move files to it and even back to the PC, but all from the PC. Of course, I can ping each computer from the other. I have turned on File and printer sharing on both and made the relevant folders shared on both machines.I have also set the Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication and UPnP Device Host to Automatic. I am able to use my comparison software to copy files back and forth. I also am able to use Microsoft Garage mouse software to control; both machines with one keyboard and mouse. I have turned off all firewalls on both machines. I have even turned off IP6 for the adapter on both machines. Oddly, I can access the PC's Public folder from the laptop but not the drive and folders I need. But, I still do not see the PC in the laptop's Network to be able to access it. I am using the same network over wired Ethernet.

Any ideas? Totally puzzled! TIA.

I have a PC running Windows running Windows 10 ver. 22H2 and a laptop running the same, except for a minor variation in the build, on my home network. Both have an OS partition and a Data partition. I want to access the Data partition of the other from each machine, but cannot. I am able to see and map to the laptop from the PC, but am unable to see ot map to the PC. I can see the laptop from the PC and copy and move files to it and even back to the PC, but all from the PC. Of course, I can ping each computer from the other. I have turned on File and printer sharing on both and made the relevant folders shared on both machines.I have also set the Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication and UPnP Device Host to Automatic. I am able to use my comparison software to copy files back and forth. I also am able to use Microsoft Garage mouse software to control; both machines with one keyboard and mouse. I have turned off all firewalls on both machines. I have even turned off IP6 for the adapter on both machines. Oddly, I can access the PC's Public folder from the laptop but not the drive and folders I need. But, I still do not see the PC in the laptop's Network to be able to access it. I am using the same network over wired Ethernet.

Any ideas? Totally puzzled! TIA.
its been a while since i have done this: it should be something like this:

router: turn of access point isolation (that blocks wireless side of router from wired side of router)

-------------
desktop machine: called \\desktop1
create a local admin account (or use one you already have)
start cmd.exe as an admin
net.exe /user add winadmin mypasswrd
net.exe localgroup administrators winadmin /add

----------------
laptop machine: called \\laptop1

net.exe use * /d (this command deletes all server connections)
net use \\desktop1`\ipc$ /user:desktop1\winadmin mypasswrd

(this command connects to server interprocess communication share on from the laptop to the server
but provides the server the credentials for the server from the laptop)

after the ipc$ admin credentials are provided it should override the default credentials while this share is connected and other connections will work. try from the laptop:
net view \\desktop1

and see if you can see the shares now. $ shares are normally hidden admin shares.

I guess the key point is the /U: option which indicates on what machine to validate the username and password. from the laptop you want to use the desktop machine to validate, from the desktop you have to use the laptop machine to validate. in both these cases they would use a local copy separate copy of the username database.

net use * /d
This is used to remove all connections. You do this since once some credentials are established then further access attempts will piggyback off of the previously sent credentials.

other samples:Prompt credentials on network share folder - File Sharing (spiceworks.com)

Last edited:

Jim Rockford P.I.

Commendable
Nov 1, 2020

router: turn of access point isolation (that blocks wireless side of router from wired side of router)

-------------

----------------

net use \\desktop1`\ipc$ /user:desktop1\winadmin mypasswrd

(this command connects to server interprocess communication share on from the laptop to the server
but provides the server the credentials for the server from the laptop)

after the ipc$ admin credentials are provided it should override the default credentials while this share is connected and other connections will work. try from the laptop:
net view \\desktop1

and see if you can see the shares now. $ shares are normally hidden admin shares.

I guess the key point is the /U: option which indicates on what machine to validate the username and password. from the laptop you want to use the desktop machine to validate, from the desktop you have to use the laptop machine to validate. in both these cases they would use a local copy separate copy of the username database.

net use * /d
This is used to remove all connections. You do this since once some credentials are established then further access attempts will piggyback off of the previously sent credentials.

other samples:Prompt credentials on network share folder - File Sharing (spiceworks.com)

Both machines have no passwords as I have eliminated the need for them. Upon boot-up, I go straight to my desktop. Do I still have to configure the router as I had no changed anything on it. Also, it used to be that I could see both machines and connect both ways before I reimaged the laptop.

Jim Rockford P.I.

Commendable
Nov 1, 2020

-------------

----------------

net use \\desktop1\ipc$ /user:desktop1\winadmin mypasswrd (this command connects to server interprocess communication share on from the laptop to the server but provides the server the credentials for the server from the laptop) after the ipc$ admin credentials are provided it should override the default credentials while this share is connected and other connections will work. try from the laptop: net view \\desktop1 and see if you can see the shares now. $ shares are normally hidden admin shares. I guess the key point is the /U: option which indicates on what machine to validate the username and password. from the laptop you want to use the desktop machine to validate, from the desktop you have to use the laptop machine to validate. in both these cases they would use a local copy separate copy of the username database. net use * /d This is used to remove all connections. You do this since once some credentials are established then further access attempts will piggyback off of the previously sent credentials. other samples:[URL='https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/366701-prompt-credentials-on-network-share-folder#:~:text=9%20Replies%201%201.%20Navigate%20to%20the%20share,Once%20you%27re%20done%2C%20type%3A%20%22net%20use%20%5C%5Cserver%5Cadmin%24%20%2Fdelete%22']Prompt credentials on network share folder - File Sharing (spiceworks.com)[/URL] [/QUOTE] Does it make a difference to the above if I have absolutely no passwords on either machine? How do the following commands change under those circumstances? net.exe use * /d (this command deletes all server connections) net use \\desktop1\ipc$ /user:desktop1\winadmin mypasswrd

Last edited:
for no password you might have to enter in a null string like this
""
so it would look like this:
net use \\desktop1\ipc$ /user:desktop1\winadmin ""
if you use * then the command will prompt for a password

net.exe accounts (tells you if you can use no password, looks ok on my machine)

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net accounts
Force user logoff how long after time expires?: Never
Minimum password age (days): 0
Maximum password age (days): 42
Minimum password length: 0
Length of password history maintained: None
Lockout threshold: Never
Lockout duration (minutes): 30
Lockout observation window (minutes): 30
Computer role: WORKSTATION
The command completed successfully.