Question I'm trying to find the reason for motherboard BIOS corruption ?

Jan 29, 2023
Greetings.

Today when I turn on the computer has marked the bios is damaged / corrupt. As the board is a Gigabyte H97-D3H with dual bios I have been able to restore it by bypassing some pins of the chip during boot and that stuff (not so funny...).

The thing is that I have had this PC for about 6-7 years:

i7-4770,
16GB DDR3,
Gigabyte H97-D3H (PCIe 3.0),
2GB amd graphics,
256GB solid SSD,
Corsair Cx600 600W PSU

and I have never had similar problems.

Last week I installed a RTX 3060ti, maybe a so newest graphic card for the current configuration, maybe the micro can cause some bottleneck and I am aware that the motherboard is not PCIe 4.0 but the installation was ok and I was playing a couple of days with total normality. The possible drop in FPS is not very pronounced in contrast with examples seen on youtube for that graphic with superior hardware.

The thing is that I find it very strange that the bios gives this problem coinciding with the new graphic and I wonder if that could be the reason.

I've looked at power calculators in case I need a 850w or so, but each calculator gives a result: 500-550-600-700w...

What do you think? Could it be lack of power? Another incompatibility?

Thanks in advance

DSzymborski

Titan
Well, the PSU is a horrid match, considering this was the old, much inferior group-regulated CX-series PSU that isn't really a 600W PSU, and has no business ever being used with this card. CX-series PSUs didn't become good budget PSUs until Corsair hired JonnyGuru and they upgraded their budget offerings into PSUs that were appropriate for modern PCs.

BUT it's unlikely to be your problem here, just a possible problem brewing. Have you had any more issues since restoring the BIOS? And if you did, did you try running the PC with the GPU removed? If the problem keeps popping up, the best thing to do is try and isolate the issue as best you can.

Jan 29, 2023
Hi DSzymborski.
Thanks for your reply. After restoring the bios I have been working with the integrated motherboard graphics, I am afraid to damage graphic card or motherboard irreversibly due to I have no certanty about the cause, anyway I will try some days more without GPU to check.

I was thinking in a PSU problem..arrrgghh, but anyway in the case it was a PSU problem I should go for a new one, probably 850W, and if it is a motherboard problem, I think that is not worth try to get a lga1150 again for i7 4770 and DDR3 ( even today, it is difficult to find), I would have to update micro+ram+motherboard and obviously get a better PSU as well, so, I think, and even more after your comment, that I need a better PSU.

So,in my ignorance, my initial plan is: if everything is fine without GPU some days more get a new PSU, put GPU again and try… if crash again and I can't isolate problem as you said due to a lack of components to interchange...just expend my money...

Thanks in advance.

Jan 29, 2023
Hi geofelt.
Thanks for share your experience. That will be my path. I will back to comment my experience after changing the PSU and test for a weeks.

Thanks

Hi geofelt.
Thanks for share your experience. That will be my path. I will back to comment my experience after changing the PSU and test for a weeks.

Thanks
On the psu, 850w is a good idea.
It will only use the power demanded of it.
I have found that there is not much difference in price going up from 650w to 750w and 850w.

The one thing you want to do is buy only a quality psu.
Look for one with at least a 7 year warranty or more.
Start with seasonic focus or corsair rm.

Reactions: jonyc
Jan 29, 2023
Hi guys, as I promissed I'm back to share my feedback.

Finally, I went for a Corsair RM850 gold plus, after a month working and gaming everything is fine, I put RTX 3060 ti at full FPS and degrees and no problem, no more bios corrupted.

I hope this help someone.

And thanks again for your suggestions/ knowledge ;)

DSzymborski

Titan
Hi guys, as I promissed I'm back to share my feedback.

Finally, I went for a Corsair RM850 gold plus, after a month working and gaming everything is fine, I put RTX 3060 ti at full FPS and degrees and no problem, no more bios corrupted.

I hope this help someone.

And thanks again for your suggestions/ knowledge ;)

Glad to hear everything's going well for you and that you also acquired an excellent PSU that should keep your parts as safe as possible for the next decade.