Try to overclock my 1060

pote2639

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
Hello,
So I'm trying to experiment to overclock my Palit 1060 super jetstream 6gb. I feel like it's a bit waste to not oc that beast plus I saw a lot of people can push this card more so I decided to try it via MSI afterburner.

But the problem is when I try to oc either my memory or core clocks above 150mhz, then trying to run game (overwatch) my computer got black screen for seconds and froze. Also minds​ you I've increase my power limit to 110 so I'm not sure if my card kinda faulty to oc or I just lose my silicon lotto big times.

Forgot to say that I'm pretty new to overclocking. So maybe it's because of my user error? Who knows.

Thanks you.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I can only push about +120mhz on my 1060 stable, thats 2110mhz on my 1060. I also add +450mhz to the memory stable. Not many 1060s will do much better than that on the core. I always find my max core overclock first, then start playing with the memory your high core clock is likely causing the instability not the memory overclock. I think you are just expecting to much, what is your core clock when you add the 150mhz? I would imagine its beyond 2100mhz which is where most 1060s will encounter instability.

tanckattb

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
That is quite normal.

Every model of the same graphics card isn't the exact same. Some overclock better than others. You just have to be lucky. Your case is quite average, since Palit already applied a generous factory overclock of about 110-120 MHz. Your overclock adding a little more is probably already at 1950-2000 MHz at the Core with GPU boost 3.0.

As for the freezing, try to monitor the temperatures or decrease that overclock a little, and see if it's either too much or too hot

pote2639

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for the answers man.

I've try to lower my core clocks to +100mhz now, and pushing my mem clocks to +170mhz and it seems it's the core clocks is the problem. I'm just too greedy lol. I'll play more with overclocking but I guess that's all for now. Since I got a nice FPS on most games + a bit better ethernum mining rate

Also yeah my core clocks is around 2105 MHz with GPU boost + OC.

Btw, not sure if I has to push my power limit to the max if I reach my max oc mem clock? Or 110-115 is enough.

EDIT 2: so I've try to push mine to +780mhz mem clocks, and +95 core clock (turned down a bit because I've tried with ghost recon wildland and this game doesnt like that high core clock I guess? Crashed a lot. Overwatch is still fine or maybe because ubisucks and/or overwatch is more lighter than ghost recon.) haven't try with games but I'm mining some altcoin and it's works great though.

Crgwal

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

Running my 1060 X at +150Mhz Core Clock and +200Mhz Memory Clock, pretty happy with that.

Just to add to this, you never mine coins at max clock speeds as the card is less efficient at this point. You actually under clock your card for mining