Trying a TV for a monitor for gaming but there is lag

firefly1

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
hey guys,
I'm new here I'll give you all the information i have to my problem first off i bought a new TV last week a Philips 65in 4k 6000 series smart TV. I decided it would be cool to hook my computer up to it, my computer is custom built air cooled z97 msi motherboard lga 1150 socket with an I7 4790k overclocked to 4.7ghz with an MASTERCOOL Evo 212 cooler and a Evga GeForce GTX 1070 black edition at stock clock and 16 gb ram its name is Firefly. i hooked it up through HDMI and tested it out with COD Infinite Warfare i went through the settings and switched everything to 4k res and went through my TV settings as well turned everything off switched it to game mode and PC mode and began playing. I noticed that my input from my controller when i hit a button or move a joystick that it lagged a .5 second or so which suck when playing FPS like COD. My question is, is there something I'm missing to fix this issue? I've checked with Philips and other forums no one else has either tried this with this big of a TV or they don't have problems my monitor works fine but it's also meant for PC unlike a TV... also the model number is 65PFL6601 for the TV, any input is greatly appreciated and i hope I'm posting this in the right place thanks.

Solution
This is an easy fix. The problem is almost certainly that your 4k TV is running at 30hz instead of 60.

Go to display settings, advanced, go to the display adapter properties, go to the monitor tab, and manually set it to 60hz.

If it isn't an option then the problem is most likely your HDMI cable. Only HDMI 2.0 cables can run 60hz 4k.

If you made double sure to get the correct, HDMI 2.0 cable before starting then it could be the port on your TV. Some TVs only have HDMI 2.0 support on a select few of their available HDMI ports.

It could also be possible that the TV isn't equipped for HDMI 2.0. In this case the TV would have a Display Port, and you'd use that.

This is an easy fix. The problem is almost certainly that your 4k TV is running at 30hz instead of 60.

Go to display settings, advanced, go to the display adapter properties, go to the monitor tab, and manually set it to 60hz.

If it isn't an option then the problem is most likely your HDMI cable. Only HDMI 2.0 cables can run 60hz 4k.

If you made double sure to get the correct, HDMI 2.0 cable before starting then it could be the port on your TV. Some TVs only have HDMI 2.0 support on a select few of their available HDMI ports.

It could also be possible that the TV isn't equipped for HDMI 2.0. In this case the TV would have a Display Port, and you'd use that.

Reactions: cmargs
Solution
Jun 24, 2019
Thanks so much!!!
I had a similar issue with an LG OLED 4K 65". It was my HDMI cable, also, I was passing through an AV receiver which may have added some extra processing time (not confirmed).
So, I changed the cable to an HDMI 2.0, and plugged it straight into the TV bypassing the AV receiver.
No more lag!