Trying get 3 screens working with a Sapphire W4100 Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

slammy

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I am running Win7 and just purchased the Sapphire W4100 card and am trying to get 3 DVI monitors going at once. Ultimately I want 4 running but I have not purchased the 4th screen yet.

Right now I have 3 screens attached and set at 1600x900. Although the Windows Display Manager (Screen Resolution) shows the three screens in the display field I can only get 2 working at once. When i set all three to landscape mode and hit apply i receive, "Unable to save display settings. " But any two will work at once.

Each monitor is different but from my reading the manual I do not see that being discussed as an issue. These are all DVI and no HDMI. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Slate

Solution
See the "fine print" on the link below. Summary follows:

To enable more than two displays, or multiple displays from a single output, additional hardware such as DisplayPort-ready
monitors or DisplayPort 1.2 MST-enabled hubs may be required. A maximum of two active adapters is recommended for consumer systems. See www.amd.com/eyefinityfaq for full
details.

http://www.amd.com/Documents/FirePro-W4100-Data-Sheet.pdf

COLGeek

Cybernaut
See the "fine print" on the link below. Summary follows:

To enable more than two displays, or multiple displays from a single output, additional hardware such as DisplayPort-ready
monitors or DisplayPort 1.2 MST-enabled hubs may be required. A maximum of two active adapters is recommended for consumer systems. See www.amd.com/eyefinityfaq for full
details.

http://www.amd.com/Documents/FirePro-W4100-Data-Sheet.pdf

Solution

slammy

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Thank you for the answer. This my first time setting up more than 2 at once and I am still confused by some of the terminology.

I have the Displayport to DVI adapters. Which look similar to the pics fo the active adapter. Should I return what I have and order something else?

What exactly do I need to buy to make more than 2 screens work with this card? The description for the display port hubs read as if they are just going to split the screen from one of my ports. Do I need to buy special monitors? I thought he adapters would fix that?
Or do I buy two hubs, use two card ports and split them off at the hubs?
Thanks again,

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Looks like for the W4100 to work with more than 2 displays, you need DisplayPort displays or a DisplayPort 1.2 MST-enabled hub (connected to DisplayPort displays).

While you are using DP ports now, you are using adapters to connect to DVI displays. The GPU can't synch the devices beyond 2 of them as a result.

Tory Berra

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

I am currently having the same issue. I have 4 DisplayPort to DVI adapters, only two of them are working. Only two of my monitors have DisplayPorts but I dont have cables because I dont want to buy something unless I know its going to work.

So heres my question since you seem to have a deeper understanding on hos this works: Will a couple DisplayPort to VGA converters get my other two monitors working? Should I buy two DisplayPort cables and use the two DVI adapters? will that work? Whats the best option here?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Please start a new thread. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.