[SOLVED] Trying to add RAM but getting Black Screen

Sep 5, 2020
Hello,

this topic is probably beaten to death but I can't seem to find a fix for me. I am trying to add RAM to an older system. I don't use it for gaming so no high end stuff here.

I used to have 8GB in 4 banks of 2GB. Worked ok. Found a Crucial 4GB pc3-10700 and put it in and it worked fine.

So I decided to max it out to 16 so I bought another 2x4GB sticks (waiting for a 3rd stick of 4GB to be delivered) and installed them. Right off the bat, it went black screen. Thought since it was dual, I should match them up in pairs. Still black screen. I thought maybe the last slot being empty was the problem. So I added 2GB back in. Still black screen. I thought maybe the RAM was bad so I took out the old ones and left in the new ones. This time I got the HP logo screen but it was frozen. Couldn't get into the bios. I took out each one and tested 1 stick at a time. Started up fine and I was able to get into bios and see the RAM. I left one of the new ones and added one of the old ones. Got the frozen logo screen. I even went to my other computer and pulled out 2 X4GB sticks and got the same thing. So apparently its not the RAM sticks that is the problem. I tried resetting the CMOS, same result. Tried all manner of configurations of the sticks in the 4 banks and still the same result. The PSU is ample and the voltage on the sticks (old and new RAM) are all the same at 1.5v.

The only thing I can think of is, the HP Site says max RAM 16GB PC3-10700. I didn't think anything of it as I thought it might be just what was available at that time. But looking at the new RAM and the RAM I pulled from my other computer, they are all PC3-12800. Could that be the problem? But then Crucial scanner says PC3-12800 is recommended and compatible with my computer.

thoughts?

CPU: i5-650
Motherboard: MSI 2A9CH (standard from HP Elite 7100)
Ram: currently 10gb pc3-10700
SSD/HDD: Samsung 860 SSD, plus 3 TB in 2 HDDs
GPU: AMD Raden 7400
PSU: Thermaltake? 500W?

Last edited:
Solution
Solved.

For me, it was that my older mobo couldn't support mix matching PC3-12800 with PC3-10666 ram. I just found an old DDr3 PC3-10666 4gb ram stick and i put it in. Voila. No problemo. CPUID shows ok.....Speccy shows ok (although both programs show the wrong slot info).

Which is still weird as the computer worked fine with 1 4gb PC3-12800 stick but add a second PC3-12800 stick and it freezes.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Are all sticks of ram the same make and model? You might want to see if the platform you're on is on the latest BIOS update. How old is that PSU? Also, Thermaltake is the brand of the PSU while 500W is the wattage, unless you've misread the stickered info, what is the model for the PSU?

Are we dealing with a prebult?

Reactions: Magpul
Sep 5, 2020
Thank you!

For the most part it is a factory built computer with the exception of the psu which I swapped out after the original failed. The sticks of ram are not the same. In the original configuration I had one crucial 4gb, 2 elpida 2gb, and one hynix 2gb.

original computer was made in 2013? I tried looking up bios updates but Cant seem to find any

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020
Solved.

For me, it was that my older mobo couldn't support mix matching PC3-12800 with PC3-10666 ram. I just found an old DDr3 PC3-10666 4gb ram stick and i put it in. Voila. No problemo. CPUID shows ok.....Speccy shows ok (although both programs show the wrong slot info).

Which is still weird as the computer worked fine with 1 4gb PC3-12800 stick but add a second PC3-12800 stick and it freezes.

Solution