Trying to be Cautious, Second Opinions on OC with Older Board

TLMagister

Honorable
Dec 12, 2015
Hello, I've posted on here about my GA78LMTUSB3.0 rev 6 with FX6300, and I understand there's always been a good bit of contention about whether it should be OC'd at all or if it can go up to 4.5+Ghz, because of problems with NB/VRM temps. I managed to get a stable OC to 4.4Ghz with 1.4075V

I've heard the most cautious way to OC is to make sure you don't go more than .2 over normal voltage, and this would be .12 over the lowest of 1.2875V.

My question is, would this be a reasonably safe bet, or is this still a bit too much stress for the board? I have two 120 fans, one for exhaust one for intake for the top half of the mobo and a hyper212 on the CPU itself, and my recorded temps are posted below, would you say I'm alright to proceed or lower it a bit more?(I do plan on running a 12 hr tonight if it looks alright).
Untitled1.png

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That is an updated version of an old chipset motherboard. I've had 2 of them. Version 5 and version 6. Neither were very good OC'ers, but I never had any safety issues. It has a decent heat sink and solid caps all round. But with its 4+1 power phases, it isn't very stable. At least my two weren't.

I had no issue with taking the vcore to the AMD recommended max of 1.5v. But it didn't seem to help my FX-8350. The FX-6300 might do better since it isn't as stressful on the system. Be sure to disable turbo mode. Are you OC'ing in BIOS?

TLMagister

Honorable
Dec 12, 2015

Thank you for your response. So maybe the confusion was on my part and the older revs were just flatout deathtraps whereas rev 5/6 are mediocre? I did disable turbo and am OCing via the BIOS-a straightforward clock multiplier and auto load line calibration.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You should be fine. As long as you don't over do the vcore, the VRMs should be OK. Mine were fine at 1.5v. Although I dropped back to 1.425 for everyday use. I didn't mess with anything other than the multi and the vcore. I disabled turbo and a couple other things but its been awhile and memory escapes me. Wouldn't want to steer you wrong on anything.

Looking at your screenshot, it appears you have good temps at 100% usage. If you're doing that with only 1.29v, you may have more headroom left. Either way, 4.3GHz with the FX-6300 is pretty good.

Solution