Question Trying to boot my pc, but no BIOS beeps, no display.

Aug 25, 2019
I bought my friends pc, and i got a new graphics card and hard drive. the graphics card is coming next week, but i wanted to get started and see if there were any problems. I installed the Hard drive, plugged everything back in and tried starting the pc. the fans move and lights pop on, but there is no display and no BIOS. I am using an older keyboard, the blue cable to my moniter, and ik i have a BIOS speaker, so i dont understand why nothing works

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Did you see the pc work before you bought it? Good friend?

Did the computer work before you installed the new CPU?

Open the case and doublecheck that all components, cables, jumpers, etc.. are fully and firmly in place?

Something may have come loose during the move.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Aug 25, 2019
Did you see the pc work before you bought it? Good friend?

Did the computer work before you installed the new CPU?

Open the case and doublecheck that all components, cables, jumpers, etc.. are fully and firmly in place?

Something may have come loose during the move.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

yes the pc worked, and hes my best friend. i helped him build his new pc be4 he moved
i looked around and 95% sure its all plugged in
i dont believe anything is loose
and what all do you need to know so i can look into it and type it

Aug 25, 2019
List all of the components installed in your pc:

For each component: make, model, specs.

Motherboard
CPU
GPU
RAM
PSU
SSD/HDD's

What OS are you using?

in order:
MSI
i7 intel
corsair vengeance 3 sticks
corsair RM750
seagate barracuda 2tb

i dont have an os yet, im trying to boot into BIOS so i can put on one

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
Remove and reinstall the RAM, common issue when moving a PC . If there was a GPU and is none at the moment the bios settings may be locked for using a GPU, either find the bios clear jumper or pull the power cord, remove the bios battery and hold the power button down for 30 seconds or so, put them back and and check it again.

Aug 25, 2019
Remove and reinstall the RAM, common issue when moving a PC . If there was a GPU and is none at the moment the bios settings may be locked for using a GPU, either find the bios clear jumper or pull the power cord, remove the bios battery and hold the power button down for 30 seconds or so, put them back and and check it again.
so my graphics card came, i installed it, but im having the same problem. I did what you said, i unpluged the computer, took out the CMOS battery, took out each ram cartridge, held the power button to turn it on and held it until it turned off, unplugged the pc again, put the ram and battrey back and im still not getting a display
honestly idk what im doing wrong at this point, or if its a part problem

Aug 25, 2019
That is worded a bit strangely, just to clarify... You had the battery out and power cord unplugged and held the power button ?

no i unpluged the power, took out the ram and cmos battery, plugged in the pc again, held the power button until it shut it self off, the put the ram and battery back in

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
You want to reset the bios to defaults by removing all power, the battery and wall plug and hold the power button while they are out to drain any left over power stored in the board.

Aug 25, 2019
You want to reset the bios to defaults by removing all power, the battery and wall plug and hold the power button while they are out to drain any left over power stored in the board.

i unpluged the pc and took out the CMOS battery, held the power button for about 2 min, and put the battery back and plugged the pc in, yet no display

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
Reading back through the thread, you say 95% sure it's all plugged in, was the power supply disconnected ? Did you miss the 4 or 8 (may be either) pin connection for the CPU power? Usually at the top left of the motherboard.

Latest posts