Trying to build a budget gaming PC

Jul 17, 2018
Building my first PC and it is somewhat of a budget build. The build is going to be used primarily for gaming with some web browsing. I have decided on some components, but because I am so new to this, I cannot make my mind up on others which is why I am posting this here.

Here is what I have chosen in the build, but have some questions on a couple of things:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2zPzkd

CPU Cooler: I am between the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and the DeepCool Gamaxx 400

Motherboard: My main dilemma. I am between the MSI Z370-a Pro, the MSI Z370 Gaming Plus, and the ASUS Prime Z370-A. As I said this is a budget build and I feel like the motherboard is a good place to save a little money. I am mainly between the A Pro and the Gaming Plus, as I do not know which would be better for my GPU/CPU setup. I am interested in overclocking some, but don’t have to be pushing 5.0GHz all of the time.

Power Supply: is this a quality 650w PSU that will get the job done or do I need to find something else? Or better yet, is there a cheaper alternative that will do as good of a job?

Any other suggestions for other better/cheaper alternatives?

Solution

buggaby

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Why not save $100 and get a Ryzen 5? Or even more with a Ryzen 3.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/which-ryzen-cpu-should-you-buy/

The GPU is the most important part, after all.

WildCard999

Titan
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($222.89 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($165.98 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($59.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC2 Gaming iCX Video Card ($409.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Corsair - K55 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($48.25 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Corsair - M65 PRO RGB FPS Wired Optical Mouse ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1311.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-17 20:39 EDT-0400

WildCard999

Titan

The PSU is the most important part, heart of the system.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($112.00 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Black PCIe 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SSC GAMING Video Card ($304.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Corsair - K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1311.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-17 20:51 EDT-0400

Upgraded some parts and,saved you money. Are you planning to overclock?

A very good list from a first time builder.
A bit more than a "budget" build.
You need do nothing.

Some thoughts:

If you are going to overclock the i5-8600k(and you should) then you need a decent cooler.
I would have little to choose between the two you listed.
In that $35 price category, I like the scythe kotetsu better.
I used one in my son's 7600K pc and it was easy to install and very quiet.
Here is a review:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1391-page6.html
At the end, it compares favorably with some of the better noctua coolers.

I would improve the cooling airflow a bit by buying another 120mm fan.
The case comes with two.

Install two in front as intakes and one in the rear as exhaust.

Jul 17, 2018

Thank you for the help. I definitely intend to overclock some, but may not do it immediately after getting it set up because I do not think I know enough yet to trust myself to get the OC'ing correctly tuned. That ASRock Extreme4 for $112 after discount and rebate is a fantastic deal and I think I am going to get it as it seems to offer some good options I would like to have for OC'ing in the future and I have not seen it anywhere near that price anywhere else.

I also will probably go ahead and get that SeaSonic PSU because it has rebate that makes it a good deal too, but I do have a question. Do you have any experience doing the rebate process with NewEgg? It seems like they offer them on a lot of items but I am just curious of how easy the process is to get your rebate.

Jul 17, 2018

Thanks for the help. So you are saying that you don't think that I am going to have enough cooling and that I need to implement another fan as an exhaust on the back? Would that mean I would need to buy two of the Scythe fans that you mentioned, or just one and an extra 120mm fan to be the exhaust on the backside?

I agree about the HSF, the EVO is a great cooler and will probably work fine up through boost speeds. The issue is overclocking and raising voltage and TDP. You can always use the EVO for now and purchase another HSF if you decide to overclock or but a better one now.

For comparison, a H7 cools about 3C cooler than a 212EVO. A noctua 14ds cools about 4C cooler than a H7. All will work and all will overclock. Don't have the impression that the EVO is insufficient because that's not true. Look at those numbers versus the price and see what you think works for you.

if you have a local micro center look at there combo deals. if you can wait for the gpu on your build nvidia newer gpu are dropping soon. you may get a better deal in a few weeks on the older gpus. the evo212 cooler is not as easy to install as the h7. there a small pin on the heat sink you have to line up for the cooler to fit. some newbies have hard time lining up the cooler to sit right on there mb.

How much is enough?
I do not know.
NZXT s340 is a very nice case.
Your case comes with one 120mm fan mounted at the top.
I would relocate that to the front as an intake.
Included is a 120mm fan mounted in the rear as an exhaust; I would leave that as is.
Buy an extra 120mm fan to be mounted in front.
Any will do the job. Perhaps a $10 extra cost.
By having all the intake in front and filtered, your parts will stay cleaner.
The rear exhaust is mainly to direct the airflow through the cpu cooler.
Do not add more fans or they will draw in unfiltered air from adjacent openings.

I recommend the scythe kotetsu cooler which comes with a very nice quiet fan.
No need for more unless you are trying for very high overclocks.
The i5-8600K is a very good processor at stock and a modest overclock is easy.

If you truly want to test the limits of overclocking, buy a Noctua NH-D15s, about $85.

Solution

the_senate

Prominent
Sep 7, 2017
Looks good, I would maybe get a cheaper motherboard, and a slightly less powerful PSU (a 550W).
Also if you plan to play a lot of games another hard drive to hold them is a must, WD Blue 1TB are right around $50.