Trying to build a triple monitor setup with a vesa mount. 2 vertical with 1 horizontal.

khaled attia

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
Hello guys, So i just purchased a new 27 inch Qnix 1440p monitor and want to place it on a vesa mount while connecting two monitors vertically to the left and right of it. Anyone have experienec or advice on what size monitor would I need to keep them somewhat similar. Here is a picture of my inspiration for this idea.

http://www.desktopped.com/featured/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/glass-desk-mod-0-1024x776.jpg

also what kind of stand or mount would I need to pull something like this off?

Solution
A little bit offtopic, but are you aware of these things?
1. you need to buy laptop display for your side monitors and glue it to plywood or something (you need 15.4" 1440x900, those does not exist, you need to glue it together)
2. web pages are for 1024+ pix width, most pages wont fit 1440x900 in portrait mode
3. you wont be able to run any new games in surround. No driver support for differently oriented screens. (there is program a for dx9 games though)

...and not-to be solely negative I give you few tips.:
- you can run 20" 30" 20" (assuming you buy 16:10 very expensive displays)
- you can run 24" fullHD (very cheap!) 32" (1440p, quite cheap) 24". The sizes physically does not much, but the pixel density is same (=the physically...

4745454b

Titan
First, I'm pretty sure you'll need to go AMD to do this. I haven't read about Nvidia being able to support different sized monitors in their surround support yet. Second, I wouldn't do this. You'll have a non standard resolution and is only begging for problems. Desktop/work environments will be fine, but 3D game can get you killed if the enemy is in the blind spot.

khaled attia

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
I mean I wanted them as extended displays. Secondly I was just asking if you could give advice on how big of a monitor I would need so that I could have them aligned nicely, all mounted on one Vesa mount with all 3 monitors.

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
A little bit offtopic, but are you aware of these things?
1. you need to buy laptop display for your side monitors and glue it to plywood or something (you need 15.4" 1440x900, those does not exist, you need to glue it together)
2. web pages are for 1024+ pix width, most pages wont fit 1440x900 in portrait mode
3. you wont be able to run any new games in surround. No driver support for differently oriented screens. (there is program a for dx9 games though)

...and not-to be solely negative I give you few tips.:
- you can run 20" 30" 20" (assuming you buy 16:10 very expensive displays)
- you can run 24" fullHD (very cheap!) 32" (1440p, quite cheap) 24". The sizes physically does not much, but the pixel density is same (=the physically displayed size of windows, cursor etc. match), if you dont mind black strips on side monitors, they match perfctly
- if you want more info on this topic, just google "PLP setup", is the name for what are you looking for

Solution

4745454b

Titan
Huh? None of 1-3 is correct. Modern GPUs can run 4+ monitors. I have four running off my 7950. You don't glue them to plywood, you use a monitor stand. 2 is the most correct of what you wrote, but he still has that big 1440 monitor in the center. And as I said in my first post AMD supports mix and match monitors.

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014

Well, if 3 is not correct, tell me how the hell I can run PLP setup with dx11 games, I would be eternally in your debt.

But first of all, why do you mention horsepower? I assume you got horsepower if you want run multiple monitors. Trouble is not power, but that drivers does not allow other than LLL or PPP setup for surround! (I heard some rumors some time ago about AMD drivers but it never was confirmed, can YOU run PLP, have you tried setting it up? This information could be quite valuable for both me any any other users seeking perfect PLP setup)
As for " You don't glue them", are there any stands for raw LCD laptop displays? I mean those from spare parts as there are no 15.4" monitors, only spare parts panels.

4745454b

Titan
Wait, I think I'm wrong about mixed orientation. AMD supports mixed sized monitors, but I think they still need to be orientated the same way. I noticed this error as soon as I started looking online for AMD PLP driver support.

Why would you be using laptop displays? In his example picture they aren't latptop displays. He said he bought a 27" 1440 monitor. Here is a random one from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4JH1GM6834

The height is around 19" 19" is a normal size monitor, and you don't need to worry if it supports portrait display as long as it supports VESA mounting. For example he could use two of these and add the 1440x900 monitors to the sides.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236107

They all support VESA 100x100 so any adjustable triple monitor stand would work fine. I'm not sure why you mention a lot of the things in your post, including horsepower as the subject of horsepower hasn't even been mentioned until you did. He already stated he isn't looking for an Eyefinity setup, but an extended display setup so as long as he has the power to run the 1440 monitor he should be good.

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014

Because 1440x900 19" has 89.37 PPI while 27" 2560x1440 has 108.79, that is almost 20 PPI difference! If not unplayable, games and windows would be aweful look. Just think about it: one half of windows(or game) is 20% bigger than the other.
The trouble with 27" 1440p monitors is, that 110 PPI is extremely high for today and there not really any monitors out there with such high PPI and similar physical size. On the other hand, 19-32-19 would work (both roughly at 90PPI and +- 0,5in in physical size). Question is, do you want TN panels with terrible view angles as side monitors?
As side note: I dont say AMD eyefinity cant do that, I am just saying I am not aware it could, needs to be tried out.

4745454b

Titan
I'd be worried about a size difference, but he already said no Eyefinity setup. So it doesn't matter. My setup uses three identical monitors to avoid these very problems. I don't know why people do setups like he posted. It makes no sense to me.

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
actually, the physical size difference is not that big problem - you can add black strips on side monitors. On the other hand you cant change on-screen size you need to buy same PPI monitor(or downscale and interpolate to non-native resolution).
As for why, there is software for dx9 games, and you can "hack" some of the newer games - all you need is borderless window at custom resolution.

TRENDING THREADS