Trying to build Gaming Tower. Am i on the right track?? Help PLEASE

Brett Thompson

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Hey everyone. I just created an account here and im hoping im in the write place to post this. I am trying to build my own tower so i guess Computer help would be the best place. But i just graduated high school and i got about 900$ so and i need a computer. I am a gamer so i thought i would look into building a gaming tower. I know i dont have alot of money to get the best parts but i basically want to build one that can withstand high graphics and not lag or be slow because they are pains. now i know speed depends on the servers i play on and internet like Call of Duty and stuff but i want a computer than can have fast reaction times and be very fast but can also play on the highest details. i downloaded an app called newegg to look at parts and this is what i came up with. I created this discussion so i could get opinions and if i was on the right track for what i wanted. Here are the specifics:

1. AMD FX- 8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz turbo) socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor ($199.99)

2. ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard ($84.99)

3. GIGABYTE GV-R787OC -2GD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ($234.99)

4. G.Skill Sniper Gaming Serious 16GB (2x8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model f3-1866C10D- 16GSR($124.99)

5. Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (ssd) ($76.99)

6. ASUS 24x DVD Burner ($19.99)

7. LITE-ON Black 18x DVD-ROM ($17.99)

8. CORSAIR Hydro serious H50 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99)

AND FINALLY!!!!!

9. RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply (89.99)

Now i know this is alot and you probably wont want to help research it all but any help would be beyond appreciative. Im just starting to learn about computers and my friend helped me pick these parts out. I just wanted more opinions on if this is what i need. Im not sure if i need any other parts but if u see i do and could post some that would be awesome!! thank you so much in advance.

1. AMD FX- 8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz turbo) socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor ($199.99)
---i'm not terribly familiar with amd processors but this is in the same range as i5 cpus. generally intel is a superior path provided its within budget right now. perhaps you want to swap to an intel build.

2. ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard ($84.99)
---again perhaps you want to swap to an intel build. your choice of course.

3. GIGABYTE GV-R787OC -2GD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ($234.99)
---i suggest you look at anantech benchmarks against games you want to play to see how it performs. remember to allow for performance drop over the years so you want a solid performer now.

4. G.Skill Sniper Gaming Serious 16GB (2x8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model f3-1866C10D- 16GSR($124.99)
---you dont need 16gb for gaming. go with 2x4gb corsair or mushkin 1600 or 1866 ram.

5. Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (ssd) ($76.99)
---this is practically useless. for your budget you best forget ssd drives. in case you want to know why there is a 80% rule for ssd capacity before reduction and performance and increased wear out times. factor in 30gb for the os and you are left with 21.2gb of free space. you may not even be able to put one high end game on this. go with a seagate barracuda, western digital caviar black or samsung spinpoint normal hdd.

6. ASUS 24x DVD Burner ($19.99)
---anything will work

7. LITE-ON Black 18x DVD-ROM ($17.99)
---is there a reason why you have two drives? typically you would make them the same.

8. CORSAIR Hydro serious H50 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99)
---the h50 is the lowest performance cpu cooler they offer. honestly you are just as well suited by a good air cooler compared to this. are you planning on overclocking?

AND FINALLY!!!!!

9. RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply (89.99)
---most middle ranged computers will spec out at about 430-450w. you do not want to run anywhere near the maximum output on a psu so you would be looking for a minimum of 550 but preferably a 650w psu. also the psus included with cases are notoriously horrible and you are asking for trouble. buy a respectable 650w psu such as the corsair hx650.
---as far as the case is concerned its far from impeccable. there are plenty of other options availalble for the price range. perhaps look at the antec one, three hundred, nzxt source 220 or other open case designs.

--------------------------------------

there are some pretty glaring problems with this build that you need to look into.

of course unlike your friend i do encourage you to doublecheck what i've said for yourself.

your budget is not much to work with but it is possible. you need to make propper use of the budget instead of wasting money on certain componenta and not spending enough on others.

---------------------------------------

can you stretch the budget at all?
what games at what settings at what resolution?
how long does this need to last?
are there any other tasks you need to use on the pc?
do you have any preferences?
what about perepherals? mouse keyboard monitor speakers