Trying to Buy a drive. I'm lost confused and getting aggravated

Feb 15, 2018
I'm going to try to keep it all short, but stating my dilemma.
I do a lot of data transfer. I don't keep the data, I'm just transferring data from one computer to another; then i delete it from my hdd. The data can be from 20 gigs to sometime 230 gigs (smh)
I have been using the portable WD elements (P/N WDBUZG0010BBK), and its slow.. Taking up to 4-6 hrs to complete transfers.

In my head, i have an option, I can go and buy an external 3.5 Seagate SATA III, but do those things move at 7200rpm or 5400rpm like this WD? I mean, Do they still make 7200RPM ext HDD? I figure a 1 or 2 TB would run me about $100. But it seems no one is displaying 7200RPM on the site anymore

Then there's this other option i just saw online : https://www.cnet.com/products/seagate-game-drive-for-xbox-stft512400-solid-state-drive-512-gb-usb-3-0/specs/ it gives me a Solid State with 512 gigs and for about $175 - $200. So my question is which route should i take?

I've read so many online forums and i have changed my mind like about 6 times in the last hour.!! Also, i would think i can format that xbox sshdd and use it as a transfer drive ** I would think**
Or am i wasting money and should just look for a 7200rpm Seagate with a capacity of about 1 or 2TB

Solution
You're still.doing double transfers tnen though aren't you ?? Once to the ssd & then off it again ??

A router isn't really going to help in that respect at all.

A huge amount of tiny files is just going to take an age irregardless of the transfer interface used.

Ssd to ssd is going to be fast as it possibly can (they're amazing at small file write speeds) , as soon as a traditional platter deive comes into the equation fast writes go out of the window.

Exactly as you've already found & quoted above.

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Yes 7200 RPM drives still exist but I doubt you'll notice the difference between 5400 and 7200 RPM. A 3.5" USB 3.0 external drive might be a little faster than a 2.5" USB 3.0 external drive but an external SSD drive will be the fastest.

Feb 15, 2018

I was thinking about that, but then i was thinking, the last think i need is to loose data doing that. But sometimes, people don't always come to my office, i go to them, so that would mean i would have to pack my router and what not with me if i have to go offsite.
The answer to your 1st question is "No" I never use the same 2 computers. I never touch the same computer. I just grab data, put it on a new computer, and they are gone about their business after I've gotten their settings set up.
But i did think about setting up a small network and using a router, but that's too much if/when I'm on the go.

Feb 15, 2018

So https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GZBT36?tag=tomshardware_forum_vgl-20 is faster than
http://r.ebay.com/yaE6TX ??
I thought they would be the same since both are ssd.. and 3.x
Okay!!..

I think you may be right, i just noticed some of the new computer these customers are getting have a 3.1 port built into the laptops... hmmm.. That might make a good difference

Feb 15, 2018

From what I'm told, the laptops I'm been transferring to have Hybrid internal hdd.
The ones I'm transferring from, idk.!! Ain't no telling...!!!

Feb 15, 2018

:/ hmmm.. So getting an ssd usd 3.1 or a 7200rpm 3.5 power hdd would do 0 justice!!!??? Dang!! I was thinking it would.. because id see numbers at i think 20mb/s then 40, may jump to 60s, then drop to 40 maybe 30, then 10, then pick back up and continue that phase till all complete

@madmatt30 This is one of the laptops im transferring FROM (HP Z book 15 G3). I think he had 226Gigs of files on his desktop. He does cyber security, so no telling what kind of files they were. But it took every bit of 3.5 hrs to get it to my WD Elements
Then probably another ~1.5hrs+ to get it from Element to the (HP Zbook15 G4)

Feb 15, 2018
I want to say everyone was absolutely correct, in their own way on this post. I did go and but a 500gb ssd. Frys gave me the same deal Amazon had.
So i put it to test. On one laptop, it was transfers to and from @ 200+ MB/s
So then i tried from a clients laptop, and it started at 80MB/s and went down to 1MB/s.
And boom, i think i found my problem, details == 30gb of data == 42,119 files.. Ugh!!! So im guessing thats where it slows down at. And regardless, that transfer ended up taking me 4 hrs. I was gronna create another thread, but it seems you all on here know what you all are talking about so NEW QUESTION.
What if i decide to get a Netgear NightHawk Router, and connect the ssd to it, and connect the laptop to router via CAT6, ya think that would make a difference, Or am i just stuck in tat 4-6 hr wait regardless!?

You're still.doing double transfers tnen though aren't you ?? Once to the ssd & then off it again ??

A router isn't really going to help in that respect at all.

A huge amount of tiny files is just going to take an age irregardless of the transfer interface used.

Ssd to ssd is going to be fast as it possibly can (they're amazing at small file write speeds) , as soon as a traditional platter deive comes into the equation fast writes go out of the window.

Exactly as you've already found & quoted above.

Solution
Feb 15, 2018
@madmatt30
Last question for this post.. Today, i attempted 'ROBOCOPY' I managed to move 55gigs (330,800 files) from desktop to ssd in 2hrs14mins
I looked at details, and it showed it moved at 408MB/min. Idk if thats any more faster than yesterday's task. So my question to you is, Is using robocopy supposed to be faster than using the generic windows copy n paste? Or is that just a load of bull and its the same?

Without a doubt its going to be faster than windows native , it doesn't go through the calculatimg part at the start for one thing.

It wont be twice as fast though, I use teracopy personally, similar but with built in hook (right click) commands in windows