Trying to change file permissions on a new build with old hard drive

routinetrafficstop

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
I wasn't sure exactly where this needed to go... At my place of business we had a computer go out. I saved some of the components like the hard drive (which was what was needed most out of the old rig). I then built a new computer from parts ordered on n.e.

I also got an external enclosure for the old hard drive so I could transfer the old files that ere on the desktop of the old computer on the new one. We had several word/xcel documents that are on the old HD that we need on the new one.

When I attempted to transfer the files over I was getting permission errors/write protection errors. I tried to go in and change the permissions for the drive/folders/files I also tried to change "ownership" but still I couldn't get it done.

it states "you need administrator permission to move this file" I grant it administrator permission then I get a box that states: "You need permission to perform this action" "You require permission from the computers administrator to move this file"

Then i click try again and it asks again - stuck in a loop.

Let me know if this question needs to be moved to a different area.

Also let me know if I can provide any additional information

I've tried right clicking and changing permissions etc... i'm not sure if I did it right - still this seems like a simple fix but i've just been having a bit of trouble with it.

Thanks for your help,

Aaron Miles

Solution
this usually works with stubborn files

you can select multiple files or folders at once though not the whole drive

ie cant right click drive C but can select every folder in drive C then right click

takes a while to complete if you select a lot of files/folders

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
this usually works with stubborn files

you can select multiple files or folders at once though not the whole drive

ie cant right click drive C but can select every folder in drive C then right click

takes a while to complete if you select a lot of files/folders

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Solution

routinetrafficstop

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
yeah i just have a few single files that I need off of our old hard drive's desktop folder... I'll look into Linux live - I haven't heard of that so I'll do a little research. I'll also just try selecting all the files on the desktop and copying them over at once too - see if that solution works.

routinetrafficstop

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
yeah it wont let me select single or multiple files or folders then copy over - giving me the same issue - asking for the same permissions and getting stuck in the same "try again" loop.

Also the old hard drive was on a XP system... and the new systems are win 7 if that is of any importance...

TRENDING THREADS