Apr 5, 2020
Let me start by saying I am new to all of this networking stuff so I my need some extra explaining/help.
I have a Huewai HG659 which was supplied to me by Vodafone and now I am changing to a different ISP. My problem is that I have no internet because the new ISP needs me to set up the modem which was previously supplied by vodafone. From what I read this ISP (Vodafone) does not lock their modems. My trouble is that I cannot connect my windows 10 HP laptop via ethernet to the modem to change the settings that the new ISP has provided. I am stuck with my laptop saying the connection is an unidentified network and when I search the modems ip address to change settings it says this site cannot be reached... Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Solution
It was using vdsl and is now going to be using adsl. I have already tried reseting the modem which has resulted in the laptop saying its identifying the network. I have tried connecting to its ip but it just says there is no internet so I can't change the settings.
I am sure you've checked pages like this, where it says "Default IP address 192.168.1.1". This means that in order to connect with your laptop over Ethernet, you have to configure your laptop' Ethernet port with static IP address like 192.168.1.101, network mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1. From there you have to configure your modem for ADSL service, and you will probably need to provide ISP-assigned username / password.
Apr 5, 2020
If I read the specsheet correctly, this is router with multiple WAN interfaces. It would help if you specify what Vodafone used, and what your new ISP uses, to deliver Internet to you. Resetting that device is the first thing to do.
It was using vdsl and is now going to be using adsl. I have already tried reseting the modem which has resulted in the laptop saying its identifying the network. I have tried connecting to its ip but it just says there is no internet so I can't change the settings.

You don't need an internet connection to connect to your router, you just need to be on the same network, which you should be. What instructions did you get from the new ISP? They did not send you a new modem and router to use with their service?

Apr 5, 2020
You don't need an internet connection to connect to your router, you just need to be on the same network, which you should be. What instructions did you get from the new ISP? They did not send you a new modem and router to use with their service?
Unfortunately not. However I have no got a new one on the way which will take a few days to get here. The modem I have won't let me connect even though im on the same network... Altough, yes, I know I don't need an internet connection.

I am sure you've checked pages like this, where it says "Default IP address 192.168.1.1". This means that in order to connect with your laptop over Ethernet, you have to configure your laptop' Ethernet port with static IP address like 192.168.1.101, network mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1. From there you have to configure your modem for ADSL service, and you will probably need to provide ISP-assigned username / password.

Solution
Apr 5, 2020
I had seen pages say that the default gateway should be 192.168.1.1 and I am not sure what exactly that does but i checked and that was the default gateway. Although setting the mask and ip address was not something I had seen. I tried doing so and it also meant that I had to manually enter the dns which I'm not sure what that is.

Apr 5, 2020
I had seen pages say that the default gateway should be 192.168.1.1 and I am not sure what exactly that does but i checked and that was the default gateway. Although setting the mask and ip address was not something I had seen. I tried doing so and it also meant that I had to manually enter the dns which I'm not sure what that is.
After putting in the ip address after manually setting it, it has taken me to the Vodafone home gateway for the hg659... I am now doing a factory reset