[SOLVED] Trying to change Motherboards but NOT Processors

Apr 25, 2021
I bought an Omen 30L Pc a few weeks ago. I really love the specs of the PC but I want to switch cases, and maybe upgrade the motherboard if I can. I am pretty knowledgeable about PC's, but I have no idea where or how or what even would be compatible with something like this. Looking for advice, help, or even recommendations.

Solution
I bought an Omen 30L Pc a few weeks ago. I really love the specs of the PC but I want to switch cases, and maybe upgrade the motherboard if I can. I am pretty knowledgeable about PC's, but I have no idea where or how or what even would be compatible with something like this. Looking for advice, help, or even recommendations.

If you want to switch cases you have to get a new motherboard since the omen uses a nonstandard motherboard that only fits in an omen case. You will probably find that the PSU is nonstandard as well and you may have to get a new PSU as well.

Everything else, the graphics card, CPU, memory, drives, fans, whatever else is in there, you can take with you to your new build. It's well worth doing this to get...

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021

If you want to switch cases you have to get a new motherboard since the omen uses a nonstandard motherboard that only fits in an omen case. You will probably find that the PSU is nonstandard as well and you may have to get a new PSU as well.

Everything else, the graphics card, CPU, memory, drives, fans, whatever else is in there, you can take with you to your new build. It's well worth doing this to get rid of the HP case and motherboard which are not great if I'm honest. You may be able to sell it as a barebones system for a couple hundred bucks with all the parts stripped out.

Solution

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Yeah so I'm bored and did some research.

The PSU is indeed nonstandard so you need:

PSU 600W+, good brand like Corsair or Gigabyte or something. Spend real money like $100.
A really dope AM4 Motherboard with Ryzen 5 Support and slots for your NVME drives, like the Asus B550 for about $250
Any case you want as long as it's big enough. Go big or go home I always say.
Oh and you will need a new Windows 10 key since the one from your old PC is linked to your old motherboard. You can pick one of those up for about $10 with five minutes of Googling.
Oh ANNNND you will need a new CPU cooler since the one in the Omen is basically built into the case and non-removable. So maybe a Kraken watercooler for $70 or so.

Last edited:

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Yeah so I'm bored and did some research.

The PSU is indeed nonstandard so you need:

PSU 600W+, good brand like Corsair or Gigabyte or something. Spend real money like $100.
A really dope AM4 Motherboard with Ryzen 5 Support and slots for your NVME drives, like the Asus B550 for about $250
Any case you want as long as it's big enough. Go big or go home I always say.
Oh and you will need a new Windows 10 key since the one from your old PC is linked to your old motherboard. You can pick one of those up for about $10 with five minutes of Googling.
which model did you look at? as the OP never told us the exact model

and if you read the OP question. he only want to change the motherboard
The 30L. It's a standard machine with the same motherboard and 3700X CPU on all variants, the only difference in the different models are GPU type and amount of memory and drives it has, which don't impact OPs goal, which is:

"I want to switch cases, and maybe upgrade the motherboard if I can."

Seems pretty clear he no longer wants the Omen case, and ideally would like to change motherboards as well.

Since the PSU and cooler are attached to the Omen case and have nonstandard connectors, he will have to change those as well.

I haven't really used the Omen watercooler so I don't know actually if that could be transferred to a new case with a little work or some off the shelf adapters and work ok, but knowing HP probably not.

jasonf2

Distinguished
By the time you are done with this project you will have been better off just building a new machine. Prebuilds are notoriously unfriendly for what you are wanting to do. The manufacturers have a nasty habit of being just enough out of the ATX standards with about every component to make just about every major component unusable.

Apr 25, 2021
By the time you are done with this project you will have been better off just building a new machine. Prebuilds are notoriously unfriendly for what you are wanting to do. The manufacturers have a nasty habit of being just enough out of the ATX standards with about every component to make just about every major component unusable.
Downside to building a new machine and the ONLY reason I bought prebuilt is because GPU's are difficult to find without paying an insane amount of money. I appreciate the help!

TRENDING THREADS