Question Trying to change "Onboard Devices Configuration" setting - can't find it

May 2, 2019
I'm having an issue installing a wireless network adapter that's connected to my motherboard via usb, and after looking online the solution seems to be to "switch the main pci slot from x4 to x1". I need to do this so that my network adapter is detected by the motherboard, because apparently at x4, the main pci slot runs at high performance but all other pci slots are disabled. I need these other pci slots to not be disabled. They said there was a setting called "Onboard Devices Configuration" that I need to change, but I can't seem to find that setting.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about that can help me change this setting? I've looked all over my BIOS settings but just can't seem to find it, and as of now I can't get on the internet because of it. I know this may not be the most interesting of questions but I would greatly appreciate any help so that I can continue to use internet. Also please excuse my lack of technical understanding..

Last edited:
May 2, 2019
nope. the x1 slot not using the x4 slot anything.
Not entirely sure what this means but I assume that means the solution I thought would work won't work after all
what other pcie card do you have?
Is there a way to check this through the pc? I don't entirely know what this is/ how I would identify it by inspection. I'll start googling though
the motherboard have 3 pcie x1 slot, did you try them all?
I tried two different USB connections. I will look for a third one. I'm not entirely sure if this connects via pcie, I thought it connected via usb actually

The connection that fits for the network adapter looks like the following
  • - - - -
  • - - -
Where each of the dashes are small poles (I can't unformat the bulletpoints, but the bulletpoints are just another dash)
can you see it in device manager?
I cannot

Last edited:
May 2, 2019
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z170 Pro4S/index.us.asp#Manual
read the manual, it tell you which one is the pcie x1 slot and there are 3
I figured it out.

When I first installed it, I watched an installation video, and in the video it looks like all he did was plug the usb into the motherboard. I didn't notice he connected the adapter to a pcie slot as well. So basically I had it just sitting there not connected to a pcie slot. After connecting it it works fine.

As above, I apologize for my lack of knowledge on these things. Thank you so much for the help!