Trying to change the default storage location of apps, movies, music, ect. brought to my desktop

Branchingsalmon

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
I just reinstalled Windows 10 on my new Samsung 850 evo 500 gig hard drive and and I went into settings and went under the storage tab to change the default storage drive from my ssd (Drive C) to my 2 TB Seagate hard drive (Drive D) and that seems to have worked as far as normal downloads are concerned but when I drug over about 66 gigs worth of movies and music I had saved on an external drive I noticed the transfer from the external drive to the the hard drive was going way to fast and as the folders popped up on my desktop which I had drug them to, I checked the drive they were stored in by left clicking them hitting properties and looking under the location tab to find they are still going to the sdd. I cant figure out how to change the default storage location of desktop items please advise.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Read here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

Were you dragging the actual files, or just the shortcuts?

Branchingsalmon

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015

The actual files I can tell because it says it's tranfering over 66 gigs of files and it takes a bit of time

USAFRet

Titan

"when I drug over about 66 gigs worth of movies and music I had saved on an external drive I noticed the transfer from the external drive to the the hard drive was going way to fast "

So is it mostly normal speed, or "way to fast" ?

If you look at the 'settings' for that folder, in Location, it might say C:/Users/YourUserName/...
This simply reads off what your settings are.
Where is the actual file?

Solution