Question Trying to clean install Windows 10 and switch OS to SSD, how do I do it?

Elementalfury

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
I'm about to swap out CPU+Mobo from Intel to AMD so I thought I'd ask around and some people suggest doing as the the title says to stop and hiccups before they happen. Thing is I'm not exactly sure how to do this with Windows 10 in a clean manner so I would like you guys to guide me through with step-by-step instructions so I don't mess it up too much. I know how to create a boot drive and will be doing that shortly but I don't really know how to completely clear the HDD and swap the OS to SSD in a single go/restart (if that's even possible). Please be as descriptive as possible so I don't miss a anything at all. Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance if I personally forget to do so!

Hm... unless I'm misreading what you want to do, it sounds like you're over thinking things a bit.

Build the new PC, but connect only the new boot drive. Use the Windows installer (USB?) you've got and it will guide you through the process. And... that's it really.

Elementalfury

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
Hm... unless I'm misreading what you want to do, it sounds like you're over thinking things a bit.

Build the new PC, but connect only the new boot drive. Use the Windows installer (USB?) you've got and it will guide you through the process. And... that's it really.
That does make it sound a lot more simpler than I originally thought. But is there a way to get the HDD wiped while doing the OS stuff or will I have to do it before/after in a separate process?

The reason for only connecting the drive you want to use as the boot drive is so the BIOS is set up to boot from it every time. After the first time you log into Windows, you can then turn off, connect the old drive, boot (safely), and then do what you like with the old drive.

While you may have an old Windows installation on the old drive, it won't affect your new installation on the SSD; especially if you're booting from the SSD. So at this point you could wipe the old drive of all data if you want to.

(Sort of answering a question I think you're asking...)