Trying to connect 2 disks from 1 external drive into PC mobo

GarethA

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Hi I want to see if I can access data on a Maxtor Onetouch III 1.5TB external usb/firewire drive. It worked for about 5/6 years then it wouldn't show in Windows and later I realised it was making the same ticking noise over and over again. I've taken both disks out (2 x 750gb Seagates) and I want to connect them directly to my Z97 motherboard via the SATA III ports. I've seen on Linus tech tips that to setup a RAID 0 you need to enter bios but this was about creating an array which would involve deleting any data that was on both drives however I want to try and access the drive as it was when it was still in the original enclosure while working. I don't want to try it yet without getting advice first. I know RAID 0 is bad for reliability but I got this external drive not long after I started using computers and didn't know what I know now!

Thanks in advance.

Solution
The problem is that you have no idea how they did the RAID 0 and you more than likely need the controller that came on the external box. That's the problem with RAID. It's great until 8 years down the road when you try to find a new controller compatible with your old one and it doesn't work anymore.

A clicking sound though is usually a stuck head, which it doesn't matter in or out of the box, it's not going to do any different. Only hope would be like the freeze trick. Put the drive in a bag in the freezer, hope the contraction of the metal moves the head stuck out of where it's at. At least, so the legend goes. I've never had it work for me.
The problem is that you have no idea how they did the RAID 0 and you more than likely need the controller that came on the external box. That's the problem with RAID. It's great until 8 years down the road when you try to find a new controller compatible with your old one and it doesn't work anymore.

A clicking sound though is usually a stuck head, which it doesn't matter in or out of the box, it's not going to do any different. Only hope would be like the freeze trick. Put the drive in a bag in the freezer, hope the contraction of the metal moves the head stuck out of where it's at. At least, so the legend goes. I've never had it work for me.

Solution